Early 70's Marshall 1987 OD pedal choices, anything new?

jcs

My Marshall is a 71 Smallbox 50....I have wide variety of NOS tubes and different cabs.

Curious if any of the newest OD, fuzz or distortion pedals in the last few years are particularly good with the 1987 circuit.

As 1987 owners know, these amps get really fat and a bit compressed in the mids with a mighty roar when pushed hard....this is what I have at the moment for pedals:

Red Dunlop FF Germanium
Turbo Rat
JHS Double Barrel
Boss Mega Distortion
Danelectro Cool Cat TOD V1 & V2 (Timmy copy of sorts I guess?)
DOD YJM308 Preamp Overdrive
EH Double Muff

Seriously thinking of selling a bunch of these and curious what you folks would keep and what newer pedals in the last 2 or 3 years would you buy to go with this 1987 Marshall 50?

I use a variety of guitars and use the guitar volume a lot....I also swap in 5751 and other lower gain preamp tubes at times so I can get excellent cleans.

Thanks for any advice or comments in advance!

Ramhead

Try Fulltone OCD v3 in front of that JMP50. I'm using in it for years with my '71 smallbox + 4x12" greenback cab with great results

Last edited:
Reactions: jcs

jcs

Try Fulltone OCD v3 in front of that JMP50. I'm using in it for years with my '71 smallbox + 4x12" greenback cab with great results
I had one years ago....sold it to a friend who wound up in one of the biggest bands in country music and I think he still has that OCD... but I can't remember which version it was.

Otoh, I don't use Greenbacks at the moment but I have in the past.

TheAMAZING thing about these hotter 1987 circuits is there is so much gain on tap, you can go with 5751 in V1 with a 12at7 in the PI slot and the amp will supply excellent cleans still with a ton of gain on tap.

I run this amp sometimes at 100 wall volts (rebiased) into smaller cabs for lower volume clean tones in this manner....the cleans are as good or better than my 71 Fender SFSR.

Fulldrive-1

I play a '73 fifty. You don't need anything fancy with that amp.

For OD, you can't go wrong with an old Fulldrive, 808 variant, or Boss SD-1.

For higher gain, get a Wampler Pinnacle.

blues

Silver Supporting Member
Lovepedal Tchula It has a boost. I have 74 JMP 50 watt. It can match the JTM tone and you don't have to crank your amp to kingdom come. Plus you can till the boost for leads. Or to could leave it on all the time

It cleans up well with the volume control on your guitar .

I leave it on all the time and most of the time it's my only pedal.

Hang around the SNS thread and once in a while one shows up at least half price

Trending Topics

Top Bottom