Early 70s Sg Special, help needed

wierzbowski

My buddy has an Sg special, probably 1972-ish, with black mini-humbuckers. He's played it to death and I finally convinced him to put some needed love into it. Due to heavy strings the bridge is starting collapse and it badly needs a recrown. Ive never thought the pickups sounded very good but I haven't checked the pot values. Would he benefit from a new harness or should I start hunting for pickups? Would a Nashville TOM withstand the tension better than an ABR bridge? Below is a different but similarly spec-ed guitar. Given the fact that its not particularly nice or valuable, any input would be greatly appreciated.
sg_2_540x.jpg

Last edited:

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
My buddy has an Sg special, probably 1972-ish, with black mini-humbuckers. He's played it to death and I finally convinced him to put some needed love into it. Due to heavy strings the bridge is starting collapse and it badly needs a recrown. Ive never thought the pickups sounded very good but I haven't checked the pot values. Would he benefit from a new harness or should I start hunting for pickups? Would a Nashville TOM withstand the tension better than an ABR bridge? Given the fact that its not a particularly nice or valuable guitar, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Some of those ABR’s tend to buckle. I’ve replaced a few of mine with Callaham and love em. If those pickups are original they are likely T-tops, and there was some variance. I’ve heard some that were amazing and others that were pretty lack luster.

Not sure on value without seeing it. I can look up the value in the price guide in the morning when I get to the office.

D

Deleted member 185106

If he likes the ABR-1, no reason to switch to a Nashville. 48 years is a pretty good run for a bridge.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Hey, I have basically the same guitar. I put SD Antiquity minis in it and it was a huge improvement, honestly the best thing I could have done for it. The stock pickups are very brittle and limited. The Antiquities are amazing and just a gigantic jump in quality of sound and responsiveness.

My bridge is sinking a bit too, my next step is a full Faber kit, tailpiece, posts, etc.

It was the guitar I started on, was my dad's.

View media item 126109

colinesquire

I have that exact guitar ~73 Sg special. Those are minihums with plastic covers - not tarbacks. Mine were extremely weak and shrill. Both measured in 5k range. Dumped them on ebay and put in a pair of hotter a5 budget replacements from ebay. Sounds amazing. Don’t bother changing pots/caps unless something is wrong. I did replace the output jack as it had a weird plastic base one I didn’t trust.

johnsav

Hey, I have basically the same guitar. I put SD Antiquity minis in it and it was a huge improvement, honestly the best thing I could have done for it. The stock pickups are very brittle and limited. The Antiquities are amazing and just a gigantic jump in quality of sound and responsiveness.

My bridge is sinking a bit too, my next step is a full Faber kit, tailpiece, posts, etc.

It was the guitar I started on, was my dad's.

View media item 126109
Cool guitar with the minis!

wierzbowski

Thanks @colinesquire, I may measure the pots anyway if I can find my multi-meter. On a quasi-related note, can anyone recommend some mini humbuckers that sound PAF-ish? I know he isn't interested in Firebird pickups and Im not very familiar with the different mini offerings

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks @colinesquire, I may measure the pots anyway if I can find my multi-meter. On a quasi-related note, can anyone recommend some mini humbuckers that sound PAF-ish? I know he isn't interested in Firebird pickups and Im not very familiar with the different mini offerings

You’re also going to have to check whether they fit that SG, as a lot of minis won’t (including newer Gibson and Lollars). The Antiquities fit the best. Also, be careful with those old pickup rings, one of mine cracked when the tech was doing the install.

Here's the Antiquity video that shows them in a similar SG:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom