Early 80's Fender Concert 1x12... any love?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Trotter, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Found one locally that sounds good. Anyone had experience with this model/era?

thanks!

2. Matt F

Matt F Member

Yup. I had one in the mid 90's that was awesome.

It is most likely from the Rivera Fender amp "era". I have had the Concert and the Super Champ and they are both fine amps. Killer clean tone. And I actually dug the overdrive on the amp back then. At the time I was playing a PRS CU24 and it was jammin'.

I wish I still had it ;)

3. cestlamort

cestlamort Member

I have a 4x10 one as my main amp. The clean is great, I'm just starting to get an okay overdrive out of it.

If it's cheap, pick it up, as they're starting to get pricey (pricier).

Note that there are a few concerts:
    1960s
    1982 or so (concert II, rivera, last of the PTP wired fender amps, I've heard)
    Concert Reverb (later)
    Pro tube Concert (later)

4. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

It's an 82' Concert II... I think I can snag it for about $500

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

That is a good price for an original and untouched one in decent condition. They had a Fender labeled speaker (probably a Jensen or Eminence) and there was an optional EV speaker (FORCE) I believe. The other thing to know is if it comes with the original foot switch. If you want more performance out or it, Lee Jackson offers a kit with parts and DVD instructions for that purpose on eBay and on has web site.

6. cestlamort

cestlamort Member

that's a fair price, esp. if it has the footswitch.

Normal footswitches won't work with it. It seems that replacement custom ones are popping up on ebay nowadays (better to spend $50 than $100 or so, is my general rule).

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

My Dad, who also plays guitar, has the Concert II head. I like it quite a bit. Nice BF style cleans, and a very nice drive channel - almost has a little Mesa Mk I think going on if you dial it in right. Very undratted amp, IMO. All hand wired too.

8. HandOfTheHost

HandOfTheHost Member

I've got a Champ II that I love. I put an alnico CTS in it, and it sounds AWESOME.

9. cestlamort

cestlamort Member

I've seen the dvd/kit... any opinions on it?

10. lakesider

lakesider Member

I used to have one. Lee Jackson did a mod on it years ago. The mod back then was based on changing the frequency on the mid boost. Made the mid control very useful. Concert ll has an effects loop w variable input and output too.

11. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

how is the gain on those?? I understand they are sort of fender's answer to the mesa mark series... do they sound at all like modern riveras??

12. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I just picked up a Concert II myself. I have many of the early 80's Fenders. $500 is still a steal IMHO. Point to Point for that price!? They are heavy amps. Mine has the EV which is a bit sterile, I plan on putting in a Cannibus Rex as these really warm it up, A RW&B will do the same, more like a Pro Reverb sound. They have a unique almost quack to them, great with a tele. The DRII and PRII are nice as well. Get it, it will hold it's value.

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

I haven't heard that kit in that amp but I like the sound of every Lee Jackson made, designed by or modified amp I have ever heard.

14. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Would have been an Emi or CTS speaker - Jensen was out of the guitar speaker game at the time.

Definitely go for the Lee Jackso kit - it's all that and a bag of chips.

Otherwise the amp has GREAT cleans that can be driven with an OD pedal, but the amp's distortion settings at stage volume had a tendancy to put out unwanted oscillation; i.e., "ripple current". The LJ kit fixes that and gives the amp some nice OD depth and sweet even order harmonics.

15. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

I am grabbing a near mint 2X10 tomorrow. The key to getting good OD with these amps is pretend that the master volume only goes down to 7 or so. You can't dime the gains with the master on like 2.5 and expect good tone from these amps.It is also possible to set the lead channel to sound just like the rhythm channel but with more gain.I am gonna try to rig mine up so the mid boost is footswitchable. This would be very useful on these amps.Set right it sounds rather like a famous brand of OD amp, not as dynamic though. But for the $700.00 or so these PTP amps cost. Just about the price of a Snot Wad Deluxe.

16. Chuck King

Chuck King Member

I have a 112 Concert and what I discovered about the drive channel is, with the Gain set to 0 and the Master Volume all the way up, it sounded pretty similar to the clean channel, with the volume controlled by the Volume control (plus having a mid EQ control). From there, playing with the balance of Gain and Master will give you different effects. It's not the easiest amp to dial in a good distorted tone on, but it can be done.

17. Claudio74

Claudio74 Member

1982 2x10" here, payed 550 € (800$..consider that in Italy every USA made instrument cost almost 50% more). I really like it, but i'm thinking about a speakers replacement (it mounts the two stock harsh eminence's). What do you guys suggest?
    P.S. No Webers or other brands like this...only Jensen, Celestion and Eminence here.
    Eminence are overpriced in my country..i can buy two Celestion G10 vintage for cheap..are they worth trying?

18. jay42

jay42 Member

The footswitch is easy to build yourself. http://www.geocities.com/princerev2a/footswitch.html The Reverb switch can be an SPDT...don't know why this guys shows a DPDT. I used a common-cathode bicolored LED for mine. Green is the clean channel, red is the overdrive. The simplest implementation terminates the box with two stereo jacks instead of a captive multi-conductor cable. You have to use stereo cables. They don't have to be good cables.

I think the amp is improved by a V30 or G12-65 and a beam blocker. ymmv. I can't comment on 10's. If you end up with a four hole spider, the speaker mounting studs come out from the front. They are reverse threaded. The grille is held on with velcro.

19. Claudio74

Claudio74 Member

I ask again a speakers advice.
    I use mainly a PRS custom24 and sometimes a Japan stratocaster. I play mostly pop, rock, funky and fusion things.
    I read good things about the eminence speakers. I'd like to keep the "fender tone"..finally i found a dealer near me who has the complete eminence stock.
    So what about a 10" replacement: copperhead or something else?
    Thanx

20. J-P Twang

J-P Twang Member

I had a Rivera designed 1x12 Fender Concert once and I thought the cleans sounded great. It's a shame I sold it.

I remember I didn't like the OD Channel and it was very heavy.