Early 90's Crate V50 3x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bpdeem, Feb 17, 2012.

1. bpdeem

bpdeem Member

I'll give you my $0.02 but I also have to ask, what is your experience with it? Do you have advice? Have you had problems with it?

I own one (currently not working, its getting a retube facelift). It is F*&%ING LOUD!!! I don't think I've ever turned it up past 3 or 4, maaayyybe 5, save for 2 out door gigs we did without micing the amp. We had people coming from more than 1/4 to 1/2 mile away saying they could hear a guitar and wanted to know what was going on! It has loads of headroom on the clean channel. Vol Hi and Low controls for clean, and thats all you need. I'm not sure if the controls are interactive or not (I assume not). The drive is very usable. I usually keep the gain low for just past break up. That being said, you can get some really good vintagey OD out of it. It could be a little more responsive (maybe its just I haven't had it turned up enough) but it is pretty warm which ain't bad at all! The vol, gain, hi, mid, and low lend this to be a pretty straightforward OD channel. There are independent reverb controls for both channels and the verb is tank. No digi recreations here! 12ax7's and EL84's compliment well. It also has a fan with a switch on the control face.

I play a good mix of classic rock (Zep), blues (Hendrix, John Mayer, Clapton), pop (Coldplay, DMB) and alternative rock (Incubus, Foo Fighters, STP and RHCP). This amp has been put through its paces for sure!

There is an input jack in the middle of the controls and I have NO idea what it does. I'd experiment, but I really don't wanna end up blowing this thing out! There aren't any online manuals and since Crate went under, I can't get anything from them to tell me what it does... If you know, I'd like to know too!