1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Early 90's Les Paul Studios

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rcfs1834, Aug 24, 2006.

1. rcfs1834

rcfs1834 Member

For some reason in the last couple years I've seen a lot early 90's Gibson Les Paul Studios for sale in the local classifieds. Usually they're a 93-94, wine red, allegedly in good condition and run about $700.

Is there something wrong with the early 90's Studios? Were they a bad run?

I'm curious because I want a solid body and the Les Paul Studios seem to be a good guitar for the money in the used market. Thanks.

2. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

I have owned an 86 or 87 Studio Standard and 92 Studio. Both had ebony boards and both were great guitars.
    Would love to have the Studio Standard back again.

eigentone likes this.
  3. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

not sure. Mine was great. I sold one like you are talking about. a 93 in wine red. It sounded great....I really only sold it b/c I had a custom shop that was awesome. I wish I'd hung onto it though. I sold it 2 yrs ago for $550.

4. brad347

brad347 Member

they are a damn sight better than anything you would get from "Gibson" today, in my opinion. I think they're a lot of guitar for $700.

I bought a guitar in '98 from the custom shop and had a terrible experience... quality was terrible. I can post more details if you like. I've played guitars from later than that and they seem to be getting steadily worse. The early 90s ones I've played have all been just fine!

ps I edited my post because I had some rather harsh words about Gibson, which I stand by... I love gibson guitars but the quality recently has been suffering. Let's just leave it at that. I don't want to start a flame war :)

OddJobb and eigentone like this.
  5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I too had a '93 Studio, wine red, ebony board, gold hardware. Don't know why I got rid of it, I must have had a momentary lapse of reason :D

Seriously, they're great guitars.

6. LTE

LTE Member

I've had my black studio for a little over 15 years now and I love it. I paid $500 with a hard case. It has served me well. I'll never sell it.

At the time, I think they had the same pickups as the standard did.

I can't stand the wine red color. Just not my thing. But I think they are great guitars for the money.

7. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

1985-1995 were the best non-vintage years for Gibson. They were making great stuff then compared to now. I won't be supprised to see some from that era gain value in the next 10 or more years.

Mikebinthesky likes this.
  8. brad347

brad347 Member

i actually feel that 1980-1985 were the best since the 60s

Mikebinthesky likes this.
  9. wil

wil Member

I've had a '93 since new. It's a nice guitar, very easy to play. Mine doesn't have that classic les paul sound though. I don't know if this is typical of a studio though. Mine is a bit brighter than most. I got it as a shreader. In stock form it did a great Angus tone. Now it has '57 classics and the RS kit in it. With the lower output pup's it sounds more like a Gretsch than a les paul. It has been a great guitar though. The neck is straight, intonation is excelent, and the finish has held up very well. Although the least expensive LP at the time, it was not cheaply made. Worth a try if you want to pick up an inexpensive LP. Just make sure that you like an ebony fretboard on an LP.

10. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I think so too.

/rick

11. big mike

big mike Consigliere Staff Member

I had a wine red 91 studio. KILLER guitar. Just fantastic. Better than my LP custom I have now..but the custom had more sentimental attachement, and I didn't really need 2.

12. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

I think the early to mid 90's Studio's are the best. The earlier ones had dot inlays and smaller necks (also had a model called the "Studio Standard" that had binding). The late 90's had smaller 'Trapezoid' inlays and the bodies were thinner. The newer Studios of the last few years have the same specs as the early to mid 90's. They have actually done this as everyone wanted the spec's of these guitars.

If you can find an early to mid 90's Studio at a good price, buy it.

johnpace2 likes this.
  13. m4tt

m4tt Member

I have a 1986 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ dot inlays. I was going to sell it, as I learned I love FAT necks. However, this thread is doing something to me.

Could this really be something worth hanging onto for the next 10 years? I really never have thought it would be. I mean, it plays great...far superior compared to the newer Studios.

14. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

I really like my '91 Studio. However, it's the only Gibson I've ever owned, so I might not know what I'm talking about.

15. brad347

brad347 Member

there really is something about those early studios. And I think they look sexy sans-binding. Especially with the gold hardware... either color (black or wine). In fact, I think they look better than the bound models in those colors. But that's just personal preference.

They represented a great value at the time and still do today, because they were identical to the top-of-the-line models in all the things that count. They were missing fancy figuring in the maple and binding. Big whoop. :D

16. rcfs1834

rcfs1834 Member

I've contacted one of the ads and I'm going to try it out soon. Specs: 1992, red wine, chrome hardware, rosewood fb, and comes with a Gibson softshell case for $650.

I thought the early 90's Studios had ebony fb and gold hardware. Were there many variations of the Studio back then?

I offered a trade to trade my Alvarez Yairi DY-40 for it and he said he'd think about it. Is that a fair trade? So I'll go over to try the Les Paul and he's going to try the DY-40.

17. brad347

brad347 Member

dont know that alvarez model but there was a bit of variation on the early 90s studios. He might also be mistaken as to the fb wood but i've seen some with rosewood as well. They definitely did have chrome hardware or gold, gold was a more expensive upgrade.

18. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

As long as the serial #'s are 1992 then it doesn't matter. Some people think they have a certain year of gibson but they are wrong. 1st and 5th # represent the year.

19. brad347

brad347 Member

levelfrets is right. Make sure it says 9xxx2xxx

20. redlespaul

redlespaul Member

I have a '94 Wine Red Studio--got it new as a high school freshman. It has taken a beating over the years, but it still feels and plays great. It's been my main guitar for 13 years; most of the finish on the back of the neck is gone.

I've tried a few newer Studios, but they don't feel or sound the same. There may be something to be said about these "older" Studios.

FWIW, a friend of mine, who is a professional touring guitar tech (that has worked with/for numerous 'big name" rock players), swears it is one of the best Pauls he has ever played. He keeps trying to buy it off of me, but that guitar is my baby...I can't part with it!

eigentone likes this.