early 90's MIJ 72' thinline...who has one?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, Mar 1, 2012.

1. dazco

dazco Member

Is there anyone here who can describe the difference between a early 90's japan 72 tele thinline's neck and the necks on the current MIM version? I find the MIM a bit too thick for my liking and wondered if the MIJ i described would be any thinner. Also, how's the quality and any other thoughts?

2. Jim Holloway

Jim Holloway Supporting Member

I have the early 90's Japanese version. Bought when I was heavy into Tab Benoit (was hard to find at the time).

Neck is definitely not as chunky as the current Mexican versions I've played (frankly I'd prefer the current thicker neck). And IIRC the tuners aren't quite the same (smaller bean shape).

Quality is excellent (except for some paint slopped in the fhole), sounds great. Maybe not the most versatile guitar for me (definitely more single coil oriented).

Jim

3. dazco

dazco Member

Thanks. I too am a SC guy, but I was thinking if i bought it i'd make my own pickguard and cut it for singles.

4. dazco

dazco Member

By the way, it has been said many times the HB's in the 72 thinline (usually referring to the MIM) are not remotely close to as good as the original cunife (sp?) magnet ones. How do these early 90's MIJ ones compare? any better?