Early Ampeg VT-22...What a sound!!!...OH MY BACK!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ricoh, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ricoh

ricoh Member

I've been playing through my VT-22 lately .....what a great sounding amp....with any guitar!!! What was the 50 watt job? Do they sound the same? Too bad the VT-22 weighs a ton!!! I move mine about once every three years!!!
    Rico

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

It's the VT-40. Yeah, they sound similar to the VT-22. Incredible sounding amps. Absolutely love mine. All my guitars sound good through it but my Les Paul really shines through that mofo. I've thought many times about getting a VT-22 as well...and a roadie :).

3. 57special

57special Member

IMO the VT40 sounds better!:eek: Has some similarities to a tweed Bassman. Totally badass. I do like to change the speakers out in both the VT22 and VT40.

4. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Member

What do you use for the 10s?

5. Leonc

Ya, the original speakers usually didn't last long. Most people put Jensens or Emis in there. Mine had Jensen C10Rs (think they're Rs and not Qs) when I bought it. Sound great!

6. 57special

57special Member

I'm a jensen lover, but found the older 50 watt celestions sounded best. Not the 35 watters. (this was a while ago) I bet jim's Scumbacks would sound excellent, as those old 10" speakers (found in GBX bass amps from the early 70's , btw) are the GREAT.
    Leon, you might find using Celestions (Vintage 10's would do it also, much better IMO than Vintage 30's) will improve the bottom end punch of the amp, and make it more strat friendly.

7. ricoh

ricoh Member

So the VT-40 is a combo too? What is the 50 watt head? Were the "blue front' ones different than the later ones? What ohm speakers were in the VT-22's?

Rico

8. 57special

57special Member

V2 is the head version of the VT40. The early top mount ones lasted up to 73-74, then came the front mount ones that were tasller and had MV's. A distortion knob was added in 76, and is universally condemned as not worthy. The 73- 74 VT 40's are cool too, though not as primally satisfying as the early top mount ones. The extra height, plus the weight, make them an absolute bugger to carry up stairs (and i'm 6'1").
    I'm pretty sure that the VT 22 has a pair of 8 ohm speakers. I can't stand the square backed magnet speakers with a real nasal sound and bite, but they also had sound round back magnet CtS's? i believe, that sounded OK. Think there was also an upgrade to Altecs, should you think your VT 22 underpowered or too light with the stock speakers.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

My first REAL amp, as a young musician, VT-22 combo with 4 10's in it.
    WHAT A BEAST...I really, really regret getting rid of it.

I have been trying to get that sound again, and loud!!! That thing was a beast. I wish I had it back.

10. Leonc

Wow...never heard of that. Sure it wasn't a VT-40?

'57 - I'd like to hear some other 10s but I don't think I'm gonna buy any others sight unseen (or sound unheard, as the case may be, hehe) as I'm pretty jazzed with the Jensens...

11. 57special

57special Member

Leon, those jensens do have that special sweetness to them. The Celestions would just be a different thing. Probabaly better to leave them alone. Your speakers are front mounted?

12. Leonc

Yes...I've not tried messing with them. In fact, I've never taken the front off this cab (though I've had the chassis out a few times for tweaking). How much of a pain is it?

13. Leonc

Ricoh - one thing I thought was worth mentioning - I had a V2 for a couple months over the summer. After trying it through a variety of different cabs with various permutations of Celestion 12" speakers (G12Hs, G12Ms, V30s), I found that it sounded best when plugged into my VT-40 cab! At that point...I sold it because it was just pretty much redundant :).

14. 57special

57special Member

I've forgotten if it's front or rear loaded... pretty sure it's front loaded. I know the later VT40's are front mounted, as are the vt22 extension cabs. I think you just pop off the front, undo 4 hex screws for each speaker, and pull out the whole deal, I think the early VT40's nd foggy on details. aight into a 3/4 ply baffle, no metal sleeve or nut arrangement. Not good.
    Sorry if i sound foggy on details. I've owned a lot of Ampegs over the years and i get them mixed up at times.
    If you ever see the G20 (a 2x10 tube combo) made from 69-71, you should grab it. They usually go for under $350, and have a similar tone to the VT40.

15. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Hey guys- I have a 74 VT-40 reworked and in great shape tonally. I have it loaded with 2 celestion vintage 10s, the old ones; and 2 jensen Neos. The V10s are rated at around 60 watts or more and the neos at 100 watts. The combination sounds amazing clean or cranked....adds the fatness to single coils like no other amp.

Speakers were front loaded, grill easily removable, has sort of plastic velcro (open it up and you'll see what I mean) sealing the corners. The nuts of original are these weird screws, but Fliptops.net sells a wrench for about 7$ to fit these screws. In order to get replacement speakers into the amp and flush with the mounts I took a dremel and beveled the edge slightly, not much, just enough to slide them in flush. Speakers are in an X pattern. Absolutely killer combo!!

16. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

When the old 7027A's finally wear out, get the bias circuit modded and throw some 6550/KT88s in that VT-22. Whole new level of badass.:AOK

17. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I sold a VT 22 many years ago. Big fat round clean sound with very good reverb as I recall. Anybody know if the new reverberocket reissues are on a par with these amps? I am looking for something like this for jazz playing.

nastynotch347 likes this.
  18. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Not even close as far as I'm concerned. The newer amps (reverberocket and superjet) sound pinched and sterile by comparison.

One of the features that I particularly like about the VT-22/V-4 is the variable midrange control. There's a multi-tap coil in the tone stack that sets the center frequency for the control to 300Hz, 1000Hz, and 3000Hz making it easy to tweak for different styles.

Small departure --
    The new stuff from SLM (whether under the Ampeg or Crate name) is all PCB as are the 70's goodies from Ampeg/Magnavox. The new ones have all chassis mounted sockets while the old only have the power tubes on the chassis BUT the old VT-22/V-4 have a removeable plate on the "other" side of all PCBs -- no lifting boards for access, so easy to maintain. Definitely a feature that will make your tech happy.

19. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

20. jgyn

jgyn Member

One of the heaviest things encountered was an Ampeg VT-22 with those big white ElectroVoice speackers.