Early BB Preamp vs current version

Fat Dad

formerly amdowell
Silver Supporting Member
So, I just bought a BB Preamp from the emporium and when I received it I was a little taken back. The layout is very different from the one I used to have and different from my RC Booster as well. The serial number is in sharpie #097. Obviously it is a BB Preamp, no doubt, but are there differences between this and the current iteration? Here's a couple photos to show you what I mean. (Funky washer or something in the center, little holes by the knobs, LED below the logo, and tiny footswitch.)
20151121_100930_zps2jdsc4yg.jpg

20151121_100940_zpsqyfvvpjr.jpg

lifeinsong

Long time BB Preamp user and I've never seen anything like that before. The earlier run of pedals had a bit more built in compression but other than that the versions are the same. Yours may be some sort of prototype before they settled on the final design. You might wanna contact Xotic and see if they can give you more info.

Fat Dad

formerly amdowell
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks! It doesn't sound bad, but I do notice a difference. Slight bump in compression from what I remember my other having. Maybe a little darker sounding or smoother. Quieter overall to the other I had too. Just some observations from memory. I'll have another BB Preamp coming Monday to a/b.

Snottyboy

If I'm not mistaken, the earlier versions are the equivalent of the Andy Timmons sig model, which is more compressed and quieter as you mention. There is a certain serial number where the transition was made. I believe there was discussion to this out here, worth a search. Never seen one quite like yours..pretty cool!

Fat Dad

formerly amdowell
Silver Supporting Member
After a google search, I found that it is quite a bit like the Andy Timmons signature. AND I even found a stock photo of an older model:

Xotic-BB-Preamp1_zpspkks0foq.jpg

Found this at http://bigcitymusic.com/xotic-BB-Preamp as their stock photo. It's just so strange. I will have to do a side by side comparison tonight when I get my other BB Preamp (unless that one happens to be an older model, too lol)

Snottyboy

After a google search, I found that it is quite a bit like the Andy Timmons signature. I will have to do a side by side comparison tonight when I get my other BB Preamp (unless that one happens to be an older model, too lol)

I have the BB Comp, which is switchable between the current version and the Timmons version. Both different enough, and very usable depending on what you might be going for. Newer version should be less compressed with more volume. I like them both!

kwd1987

Are we sure that is a REAL BB preamp from Xotic? Why would there be little holes punched by the potentiometer holes and what's with the screw in the middle? That just doesnt seem like anything they'd put out on the market. Looks like a homebrew with screenprinting.

Soothsayer

Silver Supporting Member
They are super rare, especially in the condition that yours is in. The early AC and RC also had those cutouts by the controls.

Fat Dad

formerly amdowell
Silver Supporting Member
Are these versions more desirable or is it just more of the "cool factor" of having an early serial number?

Soothsayer

Silver Supporting Member
Cool factor....they also had some footswitch issues that were later resolved. I like the early version because of the compression.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom