Early Break up 10's for my Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Marble, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Marble

Marble Member

Its time for some new speakers for my Plexi'd Bassman 10. I have Mojotone 10s (40 watt, 8 ohms) in there. I want something with early breakup, but not as much breakup as a Weber DT-10 might have. A Greenback 10" would be great, but I can't afford 4 the Celestion 10's.

What do you reccomend? The WGS Veteran 10's look good, they are priced right for me. They say "crunchy cone breakup". I don't want a Vintage 30 style-speaker, but I'm wondering if they are a 10" version of them.

2. Marble

Marble Member

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Weber Signature 10's...great speaker, early break up and VERY low price for such a great speaker.

4. throbert

throbert Member

I would think the Weber 10" CTS Alnico copy would be a good choice.

5. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=646099

Here is a link to my THD's for sale. they are 10 watts, 20 peak and were designed for Bassmans. I have two of these and two Weber 10A150's in a Super, which used to have the same Mojo's you have (I think), that I replaced with the THD's; and boy, what a difference! Anyways, just trying to sell some stuff and I think it may be what you're looking for.

:aok

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

I agree on the Weber AlNiCo 10's

7. Marble

Marble Member

Should I get the Alnico ones then? FFTT chimes in that those are the ones to get. I think my Mojos are alnico, but aren't Ceramics "better"? Both the alnico and ceramic signature (non-"S") say they break up early.

The Alnicos are 15 watts and the Ceramics are 25...My Bassman is ~50 watts and I do crank it to 10 whenever possible...The speaker wiring is 4 8ohm speakers wired to equal 8 ohms total, and I'm not an expert but I don't know how much power each one of those speakers would be getting in that configuration.

Right now, in order to avoid premature speaker blowing, I think the Weber ceramics will only work...someone explain how 4 8ohm 15 watt speakers could be wired up to equal an 8 ohm load and not be blown up.

So it seems to be between those and the Veteran 10's, I wonder if anyone has feedback on how well those WGS speakers are.

8. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Weber 10F100's at 15watts each will hold up better than the Signatures which if you play all-out will not hold up, the bottom end will fart-out.
    10F100's Tweeeeed Kerraunch, Awesome!

Grungy:cool:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  9. Marble

Marble Member

I read that the Weber signature 10s (non-S of course...) roll off the highs. I can't significantly lose any highs from my tone, and if the speaker isn't letting the highs through there is no way to get them back obviously.

10. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

The ceramic ones or the alnico ones? Also, I think there's a Sig 10 and a Sig 10S for each magnet type (the "S" ones being ribbed cone with later breakup, the non-S being smooth cone with alot of early breakup.

I have two of the ceramic 10S's in my bassman and they're very blackface sounding-- more scooped, bigger bass, a little "harder" sounding. The other 2 speakers in this bassman (a tweed reissue) are one of the smooth cone alnicos, and then an Emi Ramrod I got for cheap.

I'm seriously considering getting 3 of the alnico 10S's and swapping all but the smooth cone out-- that way, if I need more "dirt" in a mic'ed sound, I can just stick the mic on the smooth coned one...

Let me know if you want the two ceramic Sig10S's I have-- I can sell 'em for cheap.

11. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

I had posted on the Weber forums in the fall of last year, and Ted noted on there that he very safely rates the Sig series stuff--- he said the 15 watters could handle 25 watts. I think he said something to the effect of "I'm a conservative old guy-- they're rated at 25 watts, so go ahead and beat on 'em" :) RIP, Ted.

12. Roe

Roe Member

10a100 although I prefer 10a125s which have later breakup

13. Marble

Marble Member

good stuff spookyelectric, I think I read something like that yesterday actually. Now its just a matter of how much highs the Sig Series rolls off..and how they sound at high volumes. I think I also read something that these speakers are for low-to-moderate volume levels.

I'm wondering how soon the non-S speakers breakup. If I'm at 10 on the Bassman, I like to be able to be clean anywhere between 2-4 on my volume knob, with moderate-to-high output pickups. I don't want to still hear a crap ton of speaker breakup. What I do want is when my volume is at 7 and above to get some real tasty grainy, sparkly speaker breakup, like how a Greenback sounds. The Greenbacks aren't distorted at all volumes.

Remember my Bassman has a fairly common "Plexi" type mod in it..its a '76 as well. The goal is to push the power tubes and speakers into distortion/compression with minimal preamp distortion (my gain knob is between 3-5 on my Bassman; there's no numbers on it), while still being able to clean up at low guitar volumes.

Maybe the S series will be what I want. I want a similar frequency response that my Mojos had, not losing too much high end.

I guess I'm a bit confused about earlier break-up and later breakup...The ribbed and non-ribbed speakers are both going to break-up, hopefully along the lines of a Greenback (the bench mark sound), I just don't know how much and when exactly. Will the S sigs only break up when absolutely pushed? Will the Non-S breakup at 2? Wish I could try 'em all out!!

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

I would be temped to try a pair of the CTS AlNiCo's cross matched with
    a pair of ceramic blue pups.

15. Marble

Marble Member

I'm not one to really mix speakers, but that could be good.

16. Marble

Marble Member