Early breakup speaker

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Stephen0351, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Stephen0351

Stephen0351 Supporting Member

I have a Louis Electric Princetone amp, right now it has 6L6 tubes in it and an Austin Speaker Works Crossroads speaker. With the 6L6's its 28 watts. I have a set of 6V6's Im going to put in it that will bring it down to 18 watts. Im looking to get a warm blues breakup tone so I want to get a speaker that will breakup earlier, something in say a 30 watt speaker, I think the Crossroads is a 65 watt speaker and is more of a british marshall sound design. What speaker is better for a blues tone, SRV, The Hoax, KWS ect. I had a blues jr a while back that had a celestion g12h 30 watt made in England speaker in it that sounded pretty good, would that be a good choice or is there something better? Thanks all

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. EFK

EFK Supporting Member

Get something with a smooth cone. Weber 12A125-O, you can go 20W if you are going to stick with 6V6 or otherwise best to get the 30W if you may use the 6L6 again. The 30W speakers are noticeably darker than the 20W. But either way, undoped smooth cone. You'll get all the nasty speaker breakup you want.

I do not see an amp with a dual 6V6 circuit causing a G12H to 'break up,' especially given all the doping that Celestion has always and continues to use on their speakers.

An old P12Q or old comparable Rola alnico (1.29" voice coil) would also work well, lots of breakup very early, very little doping and a lot of cone movement when pushed.

BTW, I see some contradiction in what you seem to be after, as when I think SRV, I think of huge bell like twins with no speaker break up just cranked up to insane volume levels, maybe a pedal thrown in. JMHO.

3. WillLane

WillLane Member

I do not really understand the desire for "speaker breakup". The only way, as far as I am aware, to get a speaker to "breakup" is to exceed the power handling of the speaker from the amp. Which is bad- you can burn the up voicecoil and then you have a dead speaker.

4. wyatt

wyatt Member

Speaker breakup and power handling are separate. Speaker breakup is all about how easily the cone deforms, it is affected by cone weight and ribbing. You can make a 100-watt speaker than breaks up early or a 20-watt speaker that will burn out long before it distorts. Of course, for obvious reasons, higher wattage speakers usually get stronger cones.

I agree that the Weber 12A/F125-O or 12A/F150-O will break up pretty early, they use a relatively lightweight smooth cone based in the early Jensens, it distorts pretty easily.

slider313 and pdf64 like this.
  5. WillLane

WillLane Member

Oh okay. So it is about the disability of the cone to accurately move, according to the electrical signal, when the cone is under stress.

6. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

7. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

8. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

So when you go to 6V6's , will your amp want to see a 16 ohm speaker? If so I have a Fender Pyle smooth cone heavy duty speaker that is not a loud speaker and has some nice sounding breakup. Cheap.

9. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

Not sure of the design specs on that amp. I would shoot them an email asking. My guess, and only a guess, is that you can use the same you have been using...8ohm to 8hom, Or 16ohm to 16ohm. I wouldnt missmatch unless specified by the designer. Amps are designed with a lot of different ideas and considerations, so best to make sure.