Early Carlton tone with Boogie and volume pedal

FattMetheny

Larry isn't using much gain these days. Last I saw him, it was with a Bludotone, mostly the clean channel.

I miss the old Larry, with Boogie Mark I and volume pedal. He'd crank that monster really high, and control it all with the volume pedal. Masterful job.

Around 1986 or so, Larry joined his buddy Robben Ford, and bought himself a Dumble. He sounded great, more refined perhaps, a tad less gain.

I did see Carlton in the mid 1990s, before his tour with Ritenour. He was touring with a pair of Boogie Mark IVs. Incredible sound, but oh so very loud. Especially in NYC's The Blue Note.

Anyway, it might be nice to see Larry reunited with a Mark I again. My favorite Larry tone of all. Not like that wimpy Steely Dan tone;)

peterdjp

He rocks the Bludo pretty good here.

I suposse he was a bit more fiery in his younger/Boogie days

FattMetheny

He rocks the Bludo pretty good here.

I suposse he was a bit more fiery in his younger/Boogie days
Remember, he was shot in the throat in 1989. I'm not sure he ever played as fast as he used to. "On Solid Ground" was his first recording after recovering. I love that one.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone who thinks that LC's Steely Dan tone was wimpy is either looking for an argument or has no ears.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I certainly do. You must be joking. Compared to Larry's first 2 solo records, his Steely Dan tone was lame smooth jazz.
No doubt that the tone on SD is totally different than on his early solo records and not as grinding, but wimpy or lame is in the ears of the beholder.

Larry's early tone is my least favorite, although I'm not knocking it, and his tone on Last Nite is by far my favorite. Ain't nothing wrong with Don't Take Me Alive and Kid Charlemagne either.

Some people like more dirt in their cereal. I've never been one of those guys.

Agree to disagree.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Larry was a top-tier LA session player. I bet you his cartage company brought several different amps to his sessions.

FattMetheny

Larry was a top-tier LA session player. I bet you his cartage company brought several different amps to his sessions.
Carlton played a Boogie Mark I on his solo recordings up to "Last Night". He used various amps in the studio for Steely Dan, including a modified Princeton Reverb. Sometime around 1986, Larry switched to Dumbles.

Funny, but a cranked Dumble sounds an awful like a Boogie Mark I to me. At lower volumes and lesser gain, you'll hear more of a difference.

Cussion

His Boogie tone was just fantastic. One of the reasons I went and bought myself an original Mark 1 about 8 years ago. I've got a feeling that I will never sell that amp. There are some fantastic Carlton bootlegs from around 77/78, using the 335 and the Boogie, and it sounds just fantasic.. They way he is working that sustain. A big inspiration to me.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Early Crusaders with the Boogie (and a BAD sense of fashion)

And with something else and a P-90 LP

robertkoa

I used to his early Solo Albums, great stuff.

Personally I never heard a bad tone out of this Guy....

Steely Dan, my favorite Fusion Group, I thought LC was great with them also...and almost everyone else who played with Steely Dan.

Great Honor to beon their Tracks....IMO.

But I agree some of Carlton's Tones are better than others.

And the great thing about sustainnnn is it can cause us to phrase better some nice long evolving notes to balance the speedy stuff.

JackD

Platinum Supporting Member
I have loved Larry's tone throughout his career. That why I have:

Early: A tweed Deluxe built by Ron Damiani (killer SD tones)

Mid: a '74 Boogie Mark 1

Later: An 80s classic Dumble style amp built by Guy Hedrick. Brandon Montgomery then voiced it to be like Larry's Dumble

For fun: I have one of those Audio Arts Parametric EQs like he used in the mid-80s

Take any of those amps and your favorite ES-335 and you can have some real fun!!

Trending Topics