• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Early Carlton tone with Boogie and volume pedal

Phletch

Here's a great (imo) example of all the good things in Larry's Boogie tone. While not as well known as his first live in Japan album, the sound quality of this one is superb. Here you can get a real good listen to the dynamics and the singing sustain, and the half-time swing feel in his solo section just grooves hard. Solo at 3:51, kicks in with all that rich texture at 5:04. Definitely my favorite LC tones in those days. The notes just seem to jump out and swell like nothing before or since.

kevin hart

Silver Supporting Member
I think the early Crusader's stuff was probably done with a modified Princeton that Paul Rivera was doing for all of the LA session guys at the time. Carlton's early solo stuff was most likely all the Boogie Mk1 and that's still my fave tone of his as well. The Steely Dan stuff was, according to him, the tweed Deluxe. I've heard him several times with the Dumble and he does get a great tone for sure, but personally, I dug the Mk1 tone a bit more.

wildschwein

Love Larry's 335 + Boogie Mark 1 tone. It was a popular pairing with fusion players of the day. Robben Ford had a similar rig in the late '70s and when he played through it he killed:

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Carlton played a Boogie Mark I on his solo recordings up to "Last Night". He used various amps in the studio for Steely Dan, including a modified Princeton Reverb. Sometime around 1986, Larry switched to Dumbles.

Funny, but a cranked Dumble sounds an awful like a Boogie Mark I to me. At lower volumes and lesser gain, you'll hear more of a difference.
So was "Last Night" with him playing through a Mesa Boogie Mk I ?

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Love Larry's 335 + Boogie Mark 1 tone. It was a popular pairing with fusion players of the day. Robben Ford had a similar rig in the late '70s and when he played through it he killed:

So was Robbin Ford also using a MB Mk I in this performance ?

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Ah.... looking more closely at the first of those videos I do see a pair of Boogies.

wildschwein

Ah.... looking more closely at the first of those videos I do see a pair of Boogies.
Yeah you see them about halfway through the "Driftin' Blues" number during the quieter solo passage. A pair of Boogie combos with GEQs - either Mk Is or possibly MK IIAs (they were available by '79)

JackD

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah you see them about halfway through the "Driftin' Blues" number during the quieter solo passage. A pair of Boogie combos with GEQs - either Mk Is or possibly MK IIAs (they were available by '79)
From what I understand, they were Mark Is.

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
The best larry tone for me was the boogie wish I could get that tone!!! I love the long sustained notes he could get, and the way the mids just bloomed, probably wouldn't work for much in today's music but man what a tone!!! Was never as big of a fan of his dumble tone, but we're splitting hairs here!!!

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Early Crusaders with the Boogie (and a BAD sense of fashion)

[/YOUTUBE]
Sounds like Larry is using his MXR Distortion +1 pedal in this great clip.
Larry once told me & bunch of other folk some years ago ... that he used the MXR pedal on a lot of stuff back in those days ...
But whenever he mentioned it as part of his standard set-up ...
o none seemed to care, especially those writing about his equipment,
So he just stopped mentioning it all together if no one gave a hoot about it ...

Major Dude

He sounds like Larry no matter what he uses....caught a random LC show in Scotland a couple of years back where he was using a Marshall JCM900 and 4x12. Was really hoping to hear him wail through his dumble rig and a Marshall was the last amp I expected to see on that stage

wildschwein

Sounds like Larry is using his MXR Distortion +1 pedal in this great clip.
Larry once told me & bunch of other folk some years ago ... that he used the MXR pedal on a lot of stuff back in those days ...
But whenever he mentioned it as part of his standard set-up ...
o none seemed to care, especially those writing about his equipment,
So he just stopped mentioning it all together if no one gave a hoot about it ...
Yep I'd heard that too. He used the MXR in front of the clean channel on the Boogie.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom