1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

early flaming lips sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rorschah, Dec 29, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

Can somebody dissect the early flaming lips sound for me? Been listening to a lot of early stuff, jesus egg etc., any knowledge of what they were playing through?

I'd guess lead is on a big muff among other things, but...

Dig the garage-psych groove.

(By the way, the early stuff is way filthier and wilder than the much more orderly, and nice-in-a-totally-different-way Soft Bulletin and beyond stuff).

-thi

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

No idea, and I bet Wayne Coyne doesn't remember either.

They have got to be the most eclectic rock band I can think of. Hard to believe their transformation from the earliest stuff, to She Don't Use Jelly, to Can You Feel, and beyond ... Doesn't sound like the same band. He doesn't even look like the same guy!

3. rorschah

rorschah Member

Anybody care to take a guess? I'm not looking for exact make-'n-model - it's more, I like that sound, I'd like to get something in the vicinity, but have little experience with anything beyond straight overdrives and don't even know what the hell is going on with that stuff.

-thi

4. fyler

fyler Member

well, the earliest stuff (the first EP through telepathic surgery) were cheap guitars (i remember wayne playing a strat copy) fuzz, phaser and sometimes marshall, sometimes fender amps (i'm sure an assortment of cheap old amps were in there too). when you get to "in a priest driven ambulance" onward, there are a lot more weird effects...guitars are still cheap (someone is credited with Harmony Rocket(s) in the liner notes)....basically a guitar a fuzz, a phaser (i never got the impression they were picky about which ones), and a slide...oh, also experiment a lot, that's what they did/do.

also, if you have a specific song in mind you want me to guess at what their using, i'll give it a try...i have all their early records.

5. AL30

AL30 Member

Yeah, I'd say grab some cheaper guitars too. From what I remember of the early stuff (it's been a while) it was lo-fi. You could always try an eq pedal and take all the lows and mids out. It will give you a horrible (or great) old radio sound. A Big Muff is also a good starting point I think.

I also think that this a really cool question and you caught me off guard.

AL

6. slimjw

slimjw Member

Actually, Wayne used to use some weird Japanese pedal for his distorted sound. If you listen to all the early records up to Clouds Taste Metallic, you can tell it's the same sound. I saw them a couple times in 1995 here in Seattle and asked their tech about it. He didn't know what it was, but said Wayne had always used it. If you listen to the "crunch" sound on songs like Turn It On and such, that is the pedal I'm referring to. As for a lot of the weirder stuff from Hit to Death, Transmissions from the Satellite Heart and Clouds that is all Ronald, the guitarist who left after Clouds came out. He was playing with them when I saw them too and he had a crazy rack and a bunch of floor pedals as well. I remember he used a couple of Eventide Harmonizers for some of the weirder stuff and the guy had it all DIALED in. Sounded as good or better than the records. As far as I can tell, Wayne played more of the rhythm stuff and the more babarian rude sounding riffs while Ronald played the wild background sounds and more effected parts. If anyone can name the pedal Wayne used on the early stuff I am going to track one down!

- JG

7. fyler

fyler Member

interesting...i saw them several times in the mid to late 80's (pre-ron jones-who ruled, incidentally) and all their stuff seemed very pawnshop-ish...guitars ductaped together, etc.
    i'm curious about the pedal you mentioned...

8. slimjw

slimjw Member

Well, notice that my description of the pedal matches yours. It sounds like it was totally some pawnshop find or a knock-off that just happened to have a sound that Wayne wanted to use on all that stuff. Whether it is truly a great pedal or not, it was exactly the sound on the records. - JG

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

lol,

but IMHO, a fender combo and a big muff'll get you there.

10. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Back when I used to cover "Jesus Shooting Heroin" I used a Les Paul with the pups out of phase, a fuzz face, an EH screaming bird treble booster, a MXR phase 100 and a Marshall JMP50 through a 1960A with G12ms. Sounded enough like the record to make me happy at the time.

Honestly, any decent garage psych-rawk sound will get you into the neighborhood. I love that neighborhood...

11. booross

booross Member

Wayne was using a strat with hotrails. Some Harmony guitars as well. He used a fender super reverb during the Jones era with 'steven's' jazzmaster, Which was ALSO loaded with a hotrail.- (still is to this day)
    Wayne's sound comes from the amp on the cusp of breakup/clean with the hotrail- and when he kicks in 'his' distortion... The pedal he's using is an Electra 500d distortion pedal. I wrote it down at one show. Electra is a Japanese company. I have owned a version of the actual one he used at the time... (No longer have) but currently own 2 newer models of that pedal which are now called Omnifex 700d. There are YouTube clips of both of these models demoed.

zerowley likes this.