Early Foghat days - what amps did they use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by handyman11, Apr 4, 2008.

1. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Just listened to some real old Foghat music ( early 70's ) , the old Rock n Roll album , and Fool for the City ... nothing complicated , but I thought the guitars sounded good ..saw them back in 1974 , and they were good live , also ...was wondering what amps they used way back when ...thanks in advance ..

2. Navigator

Navigator Supporting Member

Well, I can remember reading a Creem magazine article on them back in the day. All I really remember is that one of them used a Sunn Model T as a main amp. I think it was Rod Price (as opposed to Lonesome Dave) who used that one. I'm sure other folks will chime in as well. Those two left us a lot of fine boogie. RIP.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

They used Laneys when I saw them back in the early 70s. At least I think it was Fog Hat. If I get a flashback, I check it out and get back with you...Maybe it was Argent?

4. crifasta

crifasta Gold Supporting Member

Whatever they used, they never got the credit they deserved. The solo for "Fool For The City" is fantastic...taste, flash, tone.. it's all there. They rocked.

5. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Just was cranking "long way to go' , and 'Road Fever' from the Rock and Roll album .....some great old rock music , great tone , too ...

6. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Looks like Hiwatt to me

[​IMG]

7. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Thanks! I was thinking Hiwatts from memory, but couldn't find a picture. The first time I saw them was the first time I ever heard of Hiwatts.

"Honey Hush"...my favorite Foghat song. As horrible as this vid is, it still captures the raw energy and drive these guys had 34 years ago. Helluva song!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhwmZsNp4mg

8. MrFuzzTone

MrFuzzTone Supporting Member

It looks like the tone might be coming from a Les Paul jr P90