Early Japanese Fender RI's -nitro?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by homerayvaughan, Jun 17, 2006.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Does anyone know if the early Fender reissues from Fender Japan were finished in nitro or poly? What year did Fender USA stop making reissues in nitro finishes?
    Thanks!:BEER

2. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

I've seen no convincing evidence any of the early Fender Japan reissues used nitro. Fender still use nitro on their American reissue line, a possible exception being the new '70s Reissue Strat since the originals had a poly finish.

3. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

If they use nitro on the current reissues, then what's the fuss about the new "thin skin" nitro models? Just less topcoat?

4. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Yeah, pretty much I think, although I really haven't been paying much attention to that line, and near as I can tell none have turned up in this neck of the woods yet.

5. Luke V

Luke V Member

The Thin Skins are exactly that. not a thick undercoat and finish. Like an EJ.
    I had a 7.6 lb. Thin Skin and returned it.
    It was heavier than and didn't resonate as well as my EJ. It sure looked and smelled great though.

6. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    You're right, the USA 70's Strat has a poly finish.

7. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

The base coat on my USA '62 RI I refinished last winter had a thick poly base coat that took me a few hours with 50 grit sandpaper to safely remove...then finer and finer grit to get it to the wood as best possible. The

I had an early 1986 MIJ '62 RI Esquire I recently sold that was an amazing guitar but I have no idea if it was Nitro or not. The guitar was fairly light and really resonant. That guitar really sung!

8. HHB

HHB Member

got a body from a MIJ 62 reissue from the mid 80's, totally poly

9. lbw

lbw Member

The only Japanese Fenders that'd I'd class as propper re-issues are the JV series from 1982-1984.

I have one but I'm not sure if it's poly or nitro. The neck feels like nitro but the body looks like poly. It's the best sounding Strat I've ever heard.

10. AlexF

AlexF Member

I cant be certain, but I believe all the japanese reissues, even the earliest JV Fender Squiers were poly. The problem is that the factory which made them (which also made Grecos and others) did such a fantastic job with super thin poly, its really hard to tell. You pretty much have to take nitro thinners to a discrete part of the finish to tell.
    Al

11. lbw

lbw Member

Yep, that's Fuji-Gen.