Early stages of trigger finger?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, Jul 17, 2019.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

After practicing this chord a lot xx5360 with thumb over neck, alternating with G minor pentatonic runs, index finger now hurts a little bit when bending/straightening, but luckily nothing seems to be catching/getting stuck

Open C chord and x54030 Dadd4 are also pretty bad.

Decided to give it a couple days with no playing(kind of depressing)... maybe now I'll try to play all rhythm with the standard classical grip and only resort to thumb over neck for hendrix style/open chords or soloing.

think diet might play a huge part as well, i've been eating food as if i were still a teenager which i guess cant really do anymore.. maybe drink a lotta water

2. Timtam

Timtam Member

You've been doing something your body is not used to. You could do as Bob Newhart said ... "Stop it !" ... or better, just take things a bit more gradually. Unless you already had a finger problem, your fingers will adapt. The idea that diet is playing into an acute finger issue is far-fetched.

3. mschafft

mschafft Member

Have fun playing music. Don't hurt yourself approaching it as a work out. I know I did. Take it easy.

4. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I would never be able to play that first chord with my thumb over the neck. I have small hands. My thumb would be behind the neck. I'm going to try it when I get home. It's a pretty chord. G minor 7th I think.

still.ill likes this.
  5. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

Could be tendinitis...take it easy bro.

6. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Pain is your body’s way of telling you, “Stop doing that!” Listen to your body.

I developed trigger finger about 6 years ago after chipping the ice off my front walk during a massive storm. Ironically enough, playing guitar, especially working through the standard modes, helped fix the problem.

7. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

STILL.ILL
    I can relate. I had trigger finger a few years back... open C was painful, if not imposable. For about a year it hurt pretty bad. I tried adjusting when playing. I only played live once or twice a week and no practicing. I could barely close my left hand; it was a fat claw of pain! I went to the doctor three times over a six month period until they ultimately gave me some cortisone injections - in the nerve - in the palm of my left hand -OUCH!. After that, I was actually thinking of selling my gears and giving up. It was very depressing.

I ended up changing my diet and trying to avoid inflammatory foods. Eventually I went to a low carb diet. Today I have a slight gnarly left pointer (not as bad as Keith), but I have full motion and no pain! I lost a few lbs and corrected my blood sugar and some other things in the process.

Don't lose hope.

8. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

I can finger lift 100 lbs!

9. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

I get early stage trigger finger whenever I’m browsing Reverb and scroll over an ad for a TGP approved pedal that I don’t already have.

10. bojocatkite

bojocatkite Member

Diet does play a role and a major one at that imo. I'm no Dr but I used to work at an orthopedic clinic and I've seen people with trigger fingers coming to get injections and coming back for more, and more, and finally getting surgery, making things worse all too often... then it started to happen to me and only got back to normal after changing my diet, no more adding sugar in my diet coke, no more bacon Mac and cheese in my double burgers. Now I eat a bit more healthy to keep inflammation in check and it worked. Diet do not cure everything but can help greatly. Also stretching hands and fingers becomes an absolute necessity as you become an old fart (or a wise bluesman).

11. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

I’ve been suffering from Trigger Finger for a few years now; two surgeries and three cortisone injections, the index finger on my fretting hand is the worse.

Check the Pub and do a search, there have been numerous threads about that subject - good luck.

12. still.ill

still.ill Member

hahah sugar in diet coke? doesn't that defeat the whole purpose? but yeah today feels a lot better and its only been a couple days, i did eat a lot of brocolli and blueberries