Earthbound Audio Supercollider '71

Killshakes

What do you guys think of the Earthbound Audio Supercollider '71?

I've been eyeing them lately, and I'd like to know whose used one, how it compared to other muffs you've used (including the regular Supercollider), etc.

Background: I've been on something of a fuzz binge recently, especially when it comes to muffs. I have, at the moment, a black Russian Sovtek, a Blakemore Dreamsicle, an ARC Effects Big Green Pi, and a SUF Violet Menace. The Blakemore is getting the most play at the moment, but the ARC might be my favorite.

Killshakes

:bumpbump

...for the morning crew.

ALSO:

I found this post about the '71 from the builder on TalkBass:

"The 71 version of the Supercollider came about because I wanted to make my ideal muff for guitar. The Supercollider was specifically made for bass and super heavy doom guitar but isn't as well suited to other styles.

After checking out and breadboarding different muff schematics from the amazing kitrae site I settled on one circuit traced from a 1971 muff. I'm pretty sure it came from a triangle muff but is actually closer to one of the more prominent ram's head versions.

Originally this was going to be a 4 knob pedal (standard muff controls plus mids) but it just made sense to add in the Mass control from the SC. Sometime soon I will start building the 71 in an enclosure with different graphics so that its more obvious that it is a different circuit.

Despite being built with guitar in mind the 71 also sounds great with a bass.
"

Last edited:

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I had it and liked it at first, but the honeymoon wore off pretty quickly. After an a/b with the Violet Menace it was gone in pretty short order. For a similar era muff with a tone control, the Menace in my opinion just has a much better general tonality...for my liking anyway.

elevenstrings

I have one and I love it. However, I don't own any similar circuits/muffs to compare it to, nor really plan to. So I'm not much help here.

Killshakes

I have one and I love it. However, I don't own any similar circuits/muffs to compare it to, nor really plan to. So I'm not much help here.

Hey--At least you replied! I can't seem to find too many here who owns / has used this pedal, which is honestly pretty surprising.

What sort of music are you using it for? What made you choose the '71 over the regular SC? How does it sound with gain knob down low--lame or still useful?

Killshakes

I had it and liked it at first, but the honeymoon wore off pretty quickly. After an a/b with the Violet Menace it was gone in pretty short order. For a similar era muff with a tone control, the Menace in my opinion just has a much better general tonality...for my liking anyway.

Interesting! I have a VM too, and while I like it, it's not my favorite muff. I think maybe there's something about the voice of a ram's head muff that just isn't for me--too strident and gainy (I'm not sure how to describe it). I prefer my ARC Big Green Pi.

How about a vote for: Ive never played the supercollider, wanted one tho, but i love my Black Arts Pharaoh Supreme.

elevenstrings

Hey--At least you replied! I can't seem to find too many here who owns / has used this pedal, which is honestly pretty surprising.

What sort of music are you using it for? What made you choose the '71 over the regular SC? How does it sound with gain knob down low--lame or still useful?

Right now I primarily just play solo music - either solo pieces or looping. I use the '71 to add gain/fuzz, but there is clarity, so I can use it with chords as well. It also has great sustain.

A local guy had the '71 for sale and let me borrow it before I bought it (so I didn't really choose between the '71 and regular) For me, the low gain is totally useable - I would call it throaty and gets more raspy as the gain goes up. I do alternate the '71 with the Pale Mare, which has a similar function but a very different character.

Boltagon

I dig the 71. It sounds big and can get both smooth and snarl. The vibe is always classic, natural, and very rock n roll. The clipping switch and mass control set it apart from other ram style muffs.

If you are comparing it to a Pharaoh as some does above. I'd say the 71 has more gain and sounds more like a fuzz pedal, where the Pharaoh is more transparent , and works more like an overdrive.

I have never played the regular SuperCollider but I believe Marissa Paternoster from Screaming Females plays one on there newer album and on tour.

Killshakes

For anyone who's used both the regular SC and the '71: Which has less gain?

I don't really know why, but some of my favorite muffs have been some of the least gain-y ones (the ARC Big Green Pi is a good example). I know that both version of the SC provide plenty of gain, I'm just curious as to which has more / less.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom