Earthquake Speaker Cranker

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Just heard about this am interested.

What can you tell me about it?

Since only 1 knob is there a big volume boost when turned on?

I hope since I would like to the match volume kind of close... a teeny boost is okay.

Seems pretty open and rich sounding. Maybe thats my low gainer versus a bee or ltd or timmy or ....

2. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

I really love it. Simple. And pretty cheap too.

3. thedroid

thedroid Member

I just ordered one from PGS based in part on your video.

Online sources suggest that, like the COT 50/AMP 50, it's based on the Electra distortion. The Speaker Cranker seems to have less gain and volume bump than the 50s though.

Can't wait to try it.

4. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

The volume boost depends upon the amount of gain you want. It gets way more than a teeny bit of boost. I loved the sound of the pedal but the lack of a volume control made it unusable (for me). I returned mine the next day.

5. justnick

Yeah, I've found the boost is calibrated really well for live use: get's louder just enough to compensate for the compression of the added distortion. But I think for home use it might be a lot for some people at the higher gain settings.

6. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

does it boost equally the low-end ??
    from the video, it appears to boost more top-end or high-mid range ???

7. justnick

Yes the basic tonality of the pedal gives a little upper midrange and high end push, but as you increase the amount of drive the tone stays more or less the same and the volume increases proportionately.

8. chevchenko

chevchenko Member

How would you compare it to the various COT 50 pedals out there?

9. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I have close to the same experience with mine, although I haven't returned it the vol. boost is a bit excessive for my playing style. I have an appointment with a guitar music equipment tech in my local area who I've worked with before with overhauling amps, and such. I'm going to have him check to see if there might be some kind of mod to defeat the volume boost. (Does anyone have an informed guess if we'll be successful?)

I emailed EQD to ask if they could modify the pedal to reduce the vol. boost, but I never heard back from them. But it was right before NAMM, so maybe they were just too busy to respond :)

10. justnick

Man, I haven't messed with a COT 50 in a while and never compared them side by side so I can't really say. Sorry!

Are you finding the boost too much in a live situation? Often, because of the compression involved in clipping, an OD can sound way too loud by itself and just right in the mix. Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you know!
    n

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  11. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Well, I haven't played live for a while, but I know what my "style" is: I don't really play leads - more rhythm based. I'm usually happy to sit back in the mix, so I don't really worry about "cutting through". If I were a lead player I think you would be right. Thanks for the response.

12. justnick

Yep, I can see that that boost might not work as well for some outside of a live mix context.

Thanks!
    n

13. chevchenko

chevchenko Member

I'd still like to know if the earthquake is close to the COT 50? LOL

14. earwax

earwax Member

Me to. Seems pretty similar from the demos.