EarthQuaker Devices - Dispatch Master - Just Ordered one

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yell03, Feb 12, 2012.

1. yell03

yell03 Member

I've been through quite a few delays and reverbs:

Delays:
    Boss DD7
    Boss DD3
    Visual Sound V2 H2O
    Ibanez AD9
    MXR Carbon Copy
    TC Flasback

Reverbs:
    EHX Holy Grail

I currently have a Boss DD3 and a MXR Carbon Copy

I went and tried a new Nano Grail and it did not wow me.

So, I took a shot and ordered the EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master, it is a Boss Sized pedal that is both a delay and reverb pedal in one.

You can do just reverb, just delay, or both.

Lately I have been running my amps clean and getting my dirt from either my Fulltone OCD or my Boss SD1 or both stacked in front of my delays.

I am not a huge reverb lover, but I do like the ambience of slight delay and slight reverb together.

After it arrives I'll post up with my review.

My bet is the Boss DD3 gets bumped.

Here are the specs:

Dispatch Master Delay & Reverb

Dispatch Master featured on PremierGuitar.com, recieves Premier Gear award: Read all about it!

The smaller and more modern answer to our well loved limited run Ghost Disaster from 2010! The Dispatch Master is a digital delay and reverb unit with an all analog direct signal path and true bypass switching. It is capable of producing nearly 2 seconds of delay time with near-infinite repeats and a cavernous reverb. Both effects can be run separately or in unison. Even though it is a DSP based effect, the sound is warm and full. No sterile lifeless tones here! The delay signal is clear and strong with no after effects or signal degradation and the repeats decay into a nice ambient swell with no oscillation. The reverb is MASSIVE and is sure to please those who love our Ghost Echo but want more depth and less artifacts. The perfect "Black Hole Ambience Generator"!

Controls:
    Time: Controls the delay time, from 0ms to nearly 2000ms
    Repeats: Controls the regeneration of the delayed signal. Also acts as a enhancer for the reverb. In reverb mode this will control the thickness, decay, depth and overall nature of the reverb.
    Reverb: Controls the reverb mix
    Mix: Controls the over all level of the effected signal
    To use as a reverb only, turn the time control all the way down and adjust the reverb and mix controls to taste. In this mode, the repeats control can be used to enhance the thickness, decay, depth and overall nature of the reverb. With the reverb control at itÂ’s maximum setting,
    the repeats control will gradually overload the effect at higher settings.

To use as a delay only, turn the reverb control all the way down and adjust the time, repeats and mix controls to taste.

To use both effects in unison, adjust all controls to taste.

True bypass and hand made one at a time in landlocked Akron, Ohio.

Measures
    4.37" X 2.37" X 1.75" with knobs

Power
    A standard 9 volt DC power supply with a negative center 2.1mm barrel, no battery option.

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got one of the original Ghost disasters, it kicked both a DD2 and a Little Lanilei Reverb off my church board: perfect ambience generator in a single box. Highly recommended!

3. yell03

yell03 Member

That is good to hear

4. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

I've been eyeing one as well. First the clips I've heard sound really nice. Second I like the compact size of having verb and delay in one small pedal. I'm going to put it on a smaller board trying to pack spectacular sound into a small foot print. I think it will be perfect. Please let us know how you like it when you get it. I'll likely be ordering mine in the next couple weeks.

5. thesooze

thesooze Member

I get mine tomorrow! :omg

6. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

I was looking to get one originally, they sound great. I just don't like having multi-FX.

7. pedalboy88

pedalboy88 Member

Does it use a belton chip?

8. yell03

yell03 Member

I do also, but also some people have mentioned a better ambient effect having both come from the same pedal.

I noticed the same thing when I had my Visual Sound V2H2O, it had a nice combined feel of delay and chorus that is not achieved quite as well seperately.

review please

I have a decent sized board, but I don't like more than 6 pedals on it.
    For gigging out....
    All I would likely bring is the 3 below

SD1 in to OCD in to Sispatch Master

Currently my board is

wah-sd1-ocd-ds1-dd3 (used for reverby delay)-mxr carbon copy

It's early, I was going to ask why I would clip it on my belt:rotflmao

The company info does not mention that chip?

9. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

at one point i was seriously considering getting this pedal.
    i LOVE Earthquaker stuff, but for delay i really need a tap tempo.

10. insanecopilot

insanecopilot Member

I a gasing for one of these as well. I have a wet and a wampler faux analog delay so it would be hard to justify it.......still want....

11. yell03

yell03 Member

Tap tempo is cool if you do a lot of U2 type stuff where the repeats need to match the rhythm, but for ambience I don't need it.

I needed a reverb anyway, the combination was just a great bonus.
    I still wish they could separate the two effects with a switch.

12. EarthDevice

EarthDevice Member

nope

13. RedMitch

RedMitch Member

I've had mine since Christmas and am really pleased with it. It is instant ambience in a small footprint. The reverb is very smooth, much more the Hall than spring. I find the echoes a touch dark, but that works perfectly within the ambient concept. I don't think it's trying to be a rhythmic U2-style delay.

14. JxD

JxD Member

Ive had mine for a few weeks and I'm really fond of it. I really like how the delays blend into the reverb. I thought it was a really rich sounding reverb too. It supplanted the hall of fame that I was using.

15. yell03

yell03 Member

that is what I want

I hope this is going to be as good as you guys are saying

16. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

I really love it. It's been a staple on my board since I got it. I use it in all sorts of ways. I also love to stack it with a CB Montavillian. It's a classic.

On this track I used the DM Montavillian combo on just about everything--all guitars, fender rhodes, moog synth...even the whistling part.

http://nickjaffe.bandcamp.com/track/sao-gravity-assist-maneuver

17. other jackson

other jackson Member

Your demos are always awesome! Thanks!

18. yell03

yell03 Member

It was your YouTube video that sold me, thanks:)

:agree

19. thesooze

thesooze Member

Played mine today for only 15 minutes or so, but wow what a sound! Gorgeous tones are easy to dial in, and the repeats of the delay are very analog-sounding. Especially with the feedback high, they get really dark and wash together into a beautiful cloud of ambience. The reverb is excellent sounding.

A few minor thoughts w/ my limited time playing with it:

(1) I wish the reverb knob would work without the Mix knob. You have to have the Mix up to get any reverb sound, but this also brings in the delay. Even with the time and feedback set to minimum, I can still detect a small chorusy delay sound. This makes using the reverb by itself not as true sounding as say the Hall of Fame or another dedicated verb.

(2) When the pedal in engaged, I can hear a little "digitalization" of my signal-- just a slight loss in character and more flatter sounding. I'm used to the Timeline and Hall of Fame, that both have true analog dry through... so the difference is definitely noticeable to me. Not sure if this is a buffer/TB issue, but it's there (at least in my rig).

Neither of these are deal-breakers because of the beauty of the effect once engaged. It really is super easy to dial in sounds. The delay, as others have pointed out, is not strong or up front, so it's not good for U2/Worship type dotted 8 stuff. But for now, this is a great addition to my studio board for more ambient washy lead lines and background keys-sounding parts.

Great job EQD!

20. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

So does the EDQ.