Earthquaker Devices White Light

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by todd richman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Any users here?

I checked out the single coil clip at the EQD website and really dig it. Sort of a Crowes-ish vibe and also some nice chimeyness. I was considering the Zia Drive for my go-to chimey rhythm, lower-gain OD but I am nowe thinking that the White Light might be good in that role. I run into a Victoria Tweed Super which prefers more neutral pedals than some of the amp-in-a-can types.

Looking for other White Light users to sound-off with their thoughts on the pedal, please.

2. themadcaplaughs

themadcaplaughs Member

3. HBob

HBob Member

I like using it for a small amp sound. With my rig it makes my amp (Rocket A-10, Tele) sound a lot like a small Fender amp. More like Jim Campilongo's Princeton demos when the gain is set low - around 9 o'clock. It also sounds good with the gain higher. It's a pedal that overall is on the bright side.

4. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

It has a nice high end grind from the EQD site demos. I agree it can cop the small amp sound well. Looking forward to its arrival.

5. edgie

edgie Member

Having tried this and the catalinbread SFT, I'm quite torn between the two as the compressor-on side of the white light can somehow get to that SFT timbre. I'm also looking for more opinions on this pedal. I would like to hear how players find it in a live setting.

6. jarder

jarder Member

I have had it for a couple months now, it really does that small amp sound well. The weight knob can really shape your tone too. I use it for med and low gain and could not be happier.

7. dougf.

dougf. Member

Also curious about the White Light. Can anyone compare it to a Honey Bee?

8. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Undead thread! I'm curious, too...

9. MHG

MHG Member

I recently received the White Light and a Black Eye. Fantastic pedals. It took me a a little while to bond with the White Light. At first I didn't like it at all, but after a while I began to get it. Even though it's far removed from the usual tones I use, it sounds amazing, and inspires me to play a bit differently than I otherwise would. Boosting it with the Black eye, I was able to achieve some really amazing, articulate, singing, lead tones as well.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  10. MHG

MHG Member

I'm loving this pedal more and more every time I play it!

11. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I have one and I like it a lot. I suppose "small amp sound" is a way to describe it. It sounds like an amp more than a pedal. The weight control could also be called "thickness" - when it's turned up (thicker) it can fill out the sound of single coils nicely. I don't find it to be an overly bright pedal, but more full range. EQD does a great job designing dirt pedals, I have a few of them and can't decide which one I like best. Depends on my mood.

12. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

I got one recently. It reminds me of a DOD 250, but a little more clear and versatile. I really like the lower gain tones.