Earthquaker Hoof Reaper noise issue

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by charless, Feb 17, 2015.

1. charless

charless Member

Hello!

My Hoof Reaper does an odd thing.

It seems a bit too noisy even on low gain settings, but what is interesting/weird is that when the Octave is engaged it gets very quiet. Almost mutes completely all the hiss.

I wonder if anyone had experienced this? Is this normal?

Any input from direct experiences with the HR is greatly appreciated. :)

Charles

2. charless

charless Member

Can anyone help on this? I should assume mine is really defective?

3. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

A lot of times in octave up fuzzes, the octave effect almost acts as a gate. I have the same thing with my octave fuzz based on the Foxx Tone Machine. It's the nature of the octave up effect.

Is the noise coming from the Hoof or Reaper side? Could be a bad unit, I don't remember either side being noisy. The octave should gate though, that's not a problem.

4. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

You should just contact Earthquaker. Their customer service is excellent, they'll help you diagnose the problem.

5. charless

charless Member

Thanks thus far for the responses. :)

I had no idea an Octave effect would create a noise gate type situation. When I emailed Earthquaker thay did not mention this, looks as if they might deem it is defective but now have my doubts. Would rather not ship out the pedal, find out its normal and just waste time.