• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Earthquaker Hoof vs. Skreddy Pink Flesh

nibus

I'm trying to find a less expensive replacement for the Pink Flesh, and the Hoof looks like it's the closest thing out there.

Has anyone been able to compare these two directly?

With the new mid-shift control, can you dial in the "juicy" mids like the Pink Flesh?

thanks!

LowWatt

I'm trying to find a less expensive replacement for the Pink Flesh, and the Hoof looks like it's the closest thing out there.

Has anyone been able to compare these two directly?

With the new mid-shift control, can you dial in the "juicy" mids like the Pink Flesh?

thanks!
Definitely very far apart in terms of tone. The Hoof has much more growl and much less sustain than a Pink Flesh. The mids knob will not get you to a boosted mids tone either. It seems to max out at flat.

Closest I've come is actually with the BYOC Large Beaver. Set to the mid boost setting it can get very close.

Failing that, the Top Fuel isn't THAT far from the Pink Flesh, just a much more modern version of that sound.

fuzzfan1

Definitely very far apart in terms of tone. The Hoof has much more growl and much less sustain than a Pink Flesh. The mids knob will not get you to a boosted mids tone either. It seems to max out at flat.

Closest I've come is actually with the BYOC Large Beaver. Set to the mid boost setting it can get very close.

Failing that, the Top Fuel isn't THAT far from the Pink Flesh, just a much more modern version of that sound.
:agreeAlthough I haven't heard a Large Beaver in person, the few clips I've heard sounded pretty killer. I believe I've heard some Musket clips that seem to get into Pink Flesh territory, but again I've never played/heard a Musket in person...

Not a much cheaper alternative, but the Mayo gets just as relatively close as a TF also, just from a different direction.

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
I dont think the Hoof and PF sound much alike. The PF is much smoother and much much bassier. The Hoof is great for rhythm but the PF doesn't really handle chords all that well. They would go well together though I think.

nibus

Thanks James, I was afraid this was the answer. But I will definitely check out the Large Beaver.

However, I do wish the PF had more growl to it, but I also love the smooth violin tones you can get from it... can't... justify... more than 1 muff...

My name has come up on the Jester list and I'm debating on selling some stuff to fund it.

LowWatt

Thanks James, I was afraid this was the answer. But I will definitely check out the Large Beaver.

However, I do wish the PF had more growl to it, but I also love the smooth violin tones you can get from it... can't... justify... more than 1 muff...

My name has come up on the Jester list and I'm debating on selling some stuff to fund it.
Completely forgot about the Musket when responding. That totally is the call. Gets you very much in Pink Flesh territory. It actually spans the tones of the Pink Flesh, Mayo, and Zero if you set it right. wouldn't call it quite as rich as any of them, but it sounds awesome and is super flexible.

It doesn't do growl (thats why I traded mine for a Hoof) but for smooth sustaining muff tones, it's tough to beat.

Ben C.

I had a couple Pink Flesh's - excellent pedals! But to answer your question:

Psionic Audio 3.14
(clips and video at the above link)

- The 'modern' / 'vintage' modes = scooped / flat (sorry, no mid boost, but flat is just as good IMO)

- The 'hard' / 'soft' = symmetrical silicon clipping (edgy Muff) / asymmetrical silicon / germanium clipping (softer, smoother)

For the Pink Flesh sound, I find that 'Modern' + 'Soft' gets me there and it sounds fantastic with great sustain.

-Ben

nibus

I had a couple Pink Flesh's - excellent pedals! But to answer your question:

Psionic Audio 3.14
(clips and video at the above link)

- The 'modern' / 'vintage' modes = scooped / flat (sorry, no mid boost, but flat is just as good IMO)

- The 'hard' / 'soft' = symmetrical silicon clipping (edgy Muff) / asymmetrical silicon / germanium clipping (softer, smoother)

For the Pink Flesh sound, I find that 'Modern' + 'Soft' gets me there and it sounds fantastic with great sustain.

-Ben
Thanks Ben - I've been wanting to try a 3.14 for a while now, Lyle makes great stuff.

iggs

I had a Pink Flesh and just could not bond with it, sold it for what I paid for it ... :jo

Regardless ... I found that for my taste and my setup, Hoof, Musket or 3.14 work and sound much better for the same "application".

Some demo vids of all 3 on my YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nshc
(Hoof is in the pedalboard demo)

Ben C.

Thanks Ben - I've been wanting to try a 3.14 for a while now, Lyle makes great stuff.
And the link to inquire / buy is finally back up!
That page was gone for a long time while I believe he was catching up on orders for his products.

zestystrat

When I asked Sir Skreddy he said the very same thing both on the TF and the BYOC Large Beaver.

I had a Pink Flesh and just could not bond with it, sold it for what I paid for it ... :jo

Regardless ... I found that for my taste and my setup, Hoof, Musket or 3.14 work and sound much better for the same "application".

Some demo vids of all 3 on my YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nshc
(Hoof is in the pedalboard demo)
Great demos. I'm so used to seeing the same blues lines, etc, and noodling, no chords, etc. Dude.. you'd LOVE a Top Fuel.

Trending Topics