EarthQuaker Plumes

edwardz

Been thinking about getting some kind of TS-style overdrive lately, and this one is looking interesting to me.

Who has one and what do you like/dislike about it?

Never owned an EQD pedal, but I probably need to since they’re made fairly close to me.

Thanks!

petty1818

I own one and love it. The center position which is the clean boost, sounds awesome. It has become my favourite boost pedal. I love the other two settings as well and the pedal is dead quiet. The only dislike is that the three settings are not consistent in terms of volume but not a big deal. The pedal is super loud. Lots of volume!

I'm not a TS fan. I also think the obsession around New and different overdrive is becoming silly and we're at a point where they exist to empty your wallet more than deliver anything new.

And in saying that I'd still recommend a plumes. Don't own one but heard one close up. They are good. Pretty much what I'd tell any TS fan to get right now.

RolandKorg

I had one, but didn’t find it to be as “Tube screamerish” as it has been billed. I think some people say it’s ‘a tube screamer for people who don’t like tube screamers.’ It’s also supposed to do its work with a different kind of circuit. So, really, it’s not a tube screamer. Maybe it’s what EQD hopes will become its tube screamer-like product, in being iconic and versatile, and (eventually) classic, but I didn’t get it to do that Texas/SRV thing. I replaced it with a Behringer TO800 which does do that.

Cool pedal, just not what I wanted.

Last edited:

edwardz

Not looking to do the SRV/TS thing. More interested in a versatile, mid-forward pedal that isn’t congested sounding and cleans up well with the guitar volume control. This one seems to check a lot of boxes for me.

The price is great too.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
Not looking to do the SRV/TS thing. More interested in a versatile, mid-forward pedal that isn’t congested sounding and cleans up well with the guitar volume control. This one seems to check a lot of boxes for me.

The price is great too.
Based on what you’re looking for, I think you’d like it. It’s not a traditional TS. Brighter, less compression, etc. It definitely has its own thing going on.

psquared

Silver Supporting Member
I tried my brother's recently. I expected it to be more tubescreamer-ish than it was. It actually sounded (and felt) a lot closer to the KOT v4 I was playing right next to it, especially with an actual TS circuit (in this case an AM SD1/808 silver) pushing it. Really impressive pedal.

lakersrock

I would recommend the Dunes, Signa Drive, or Cusack Screamer over the Plumes. It’s a decent “pusher” but it’s not much fun in its own.
I find the opposite true for me. I didn’t care for it pushing any other pedals, but to get my Fender from fat clean to a tightened up/edgy breakup kinda thing, it works perfectly because it’s got so much clarity.

SAH1972

I find the opposite true for me. I didn’t care for it pushing any other pedals, but to get my Fender from fat clean to a tightened up/edgy breakup kinda thing, it works perfectly because it’s got so much clarity.
This. Had some Ts clone in the past (and the original 808) but none of them retained the clarity as the Plumes. It's by far my best gear purchase in recent years. Great, great pedal at a great price.

OotMagroot

I use mine in mode 3 to push a RAT. I also use the Plumes by itself and with a Klone (Klone into Plumes). I also dig it in mode 1 with the gain cranked and the tone up high, for a low-gain, Marshally kinda sound. I've been wanting to get another Plumes (purple sparkle, white knobs, yo!) so I can use mode 3 on one to push mode 1 on another.

lakersrock

I use mine in mode 3 to push a RAT. I also use the Plumes by itself and with a Klone (Klone into Plumes). I also dig it in mode 1 with the gain cranked and the tone up high, for a low-gain, Marshally kinda sound. I've been wanting to get another Plumes (purple sparkle, white knobs, yo!) so I can use mode 3 on one to push mode 1 on another.
I’ve been considering another and if there’s a different color version, I just may have to.

stargazer747

My favorite as of right now is the Walrus Audio Voyager and the Rocket Surgeon Astro Rock-it OD (sort of a traditional TS9 on steroids). I used to have a lot of MXR ODs; the GT-OD, EVH 5150, il Diavolo, and the Way Huge Saucy Box and liked them all, but as a big time Orange Terror amp player, they have plenty of crunch already and just needed a dirty boost I can dial in for that little extra umph for leads and thunderous chords. Recently added the EQD Dunes v2 and like it a lot, all the switchable options to tailor it just right but its very in your face full burn fire breathing gain that I don't need so much of for my stuff which is heavily influenced 70s & 80s Classic Rock. I have the gain dialed all the way down and its still high gain territory. Maybe the Plumes would have been a better match for me as its a medium gain pedal, even that new Walrus Audio Ages too. Looks like I'll be shopping online quite soon...

stargazer747

RolandKorg

zacmac

It’s the brightest pedal I’ve ever played by a long shot regardless of where you have the tone set. It can’t really be dialed out. I bought mine new and called eqd and left a message with customer service to see if something was wrong with mine. Never heard back. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you have a very dark rig like say a les paul through a fender

I’ve owned a bunch of tubescreamers from all vintages and I would buy a ts808 reissue all day. They’re clearer sounding than all of the vintage ones I’ve had. Oh, and the ehx east river sounds identical to the ts808 reissues to my ear. The ts mini is awesome too.

Trending Topics