Earvana or lsr rollernut?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tompski, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Tompski

Tompski Silver Supporting Member

Hi there ,
    I have ordered a Strat neck and body from Tommy over at Custom USA guitars and perhaps I didn't think this through properly, as being the massive Jeff Beck fan I am I have ordered the nut to be cut for the LSR Rollernut, I have now spoken to a luthier who said "don't do it!" So that has scared me a little!
    He said they actually create more tuning problems! hmm so I'm a little worried now but the neck is built and so I must follow the path I have set out on.
    I have also read about people saying they are tone suckers but the body and neck of this Strat are going to be Honduras Mahogany with a rose wood fret board so hopefully that should retain some fat tone.
    So I'd like to hear some positive stories if possible and prepared for any horror stories also.

Apparently the only alternative nut that will go in there is an Earvana nut , so which should I go for and why?? All feedback would be really appreciated.
    Thanks

T

2. RCM78

RCM78 Member

A competent luthier can replace the LSR nut with a bone nut, or a nut of whatever material you want. I had it done on a Strat Plus a couple years ago and it turned out great.

3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have LSR nuts on 3 Strats and find them to work great. They help eliminate tuning problems rather than cause them. I have had zero maintenance issues with the LSR, and have experienced no "tone suck".
    I think the LSR is a good, solid, well designed unit and recommend them. The only downside I can think of is that they are made for a 9.5" radius board only. If you have that radius I can't think of a downside after years of use.

4. FLStratcat

FLStratcat Member

I'm using an LSR on a 10-16" radius neck.. :huh

I'd stick with the LSR personally, they kick ass!

5. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Yeah, I guess if the radius at the nut end is close to 9.5", the LSR would be fine on a compound radius too.

6. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the Earvana nut. I have them in 2 of my 3 guitars and I'm getting one for the 3rd one soon. Great intonation is cool! I'm stating the obvious but it makes everything sound better including your effects. Highly recommended but make sure the person who installs it knows what they're doing.

7. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

While I am a big traditional fan I had an LSR on a Strat Deluxe I had.

I though it was great, well designed, and functioned very well.
    I really didn't notice any bad effects on tone at all, the guitar sounded wonderful.

Go for it!

8. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Earvana works nicely on my SG. Haven't tried one on a 6-in-line.

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

An LSR is a good bit wider than a standard bone nut, did he add wood into the slot or something?

10. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    +1 on Earvana nut - I use them on my gibson guitars - I find that with the shorter scale necks on those guitars, all the first position chording issues go away with Earvana nuts, and it holds intonation all the way up the neck too. I have not put one on a Fender scale neck; both of my F scale guitars, Suhr's, came with the Feiten system so Earvana was not needed.

11. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

Use a bigger bone blank to sculpt the nut

12. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I love the LSR roller nut, have one on my CS Strat Pro, and it has a 12" radius. Don't be afraid to use one the open strings really do sound great, no tone suckage at all. They don't exactly look vintage, but the LSR is a well designed functional nut. I am a believer.

13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

not a fan of either one, but an LSR will not "suck tone" or cause tuning problems; it does what it's supposed to very well.

a luthier who said that an LSR nut created tuning problems would make me nervous, because that's just nonsense.

(OK, maybe if he was referring to somebody trying to put one on a neck not cut for it, as the witness points are moved back from the edge. doing that wrong would create intonation problems, a different thing.)

14. Guitar Josh

Uh, wasn't asking you, but thanks CO.

15. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

You might be thinking of the Wilkinson Roller Nut. I think the LSR ones are similar dimensions to ordinary nuts.

16. RCM78

RCM78 Member

No, Just made the nut as wide as the old LSR nut. Looked a little goofy but it worked fine...

17. Guitar Josh

Thanks. My tech had recommended a rosewood blank behind the bone nut but I kept the roller nut, even though I block off the trem!

18. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Wasn't Earvana getting sued by the Earnie Ball/Music Mann guys?

19. Tompski

Tompski Silver Supporting Member

Thank you everyone for all these responses, I feel much more reassured!
    T

20. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Earvana should be suing them. Ernie Ball/Music Man pretty much stole the idea by reverse engineering it from a prototype they got from Earvana.