Easier to learn

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by fish78, Jul 7, 2008.

1. fish78

fish78 Member

on an acoustic or an electric?

2. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

electric but don't you dare. there are things you need to learn on acoustic. there is much suffering to be had.:crazyguy really, your technique will be better if you learn on acoustic. it strengthens your fingers and teaches you how to get a good note. your teacher will explain my babble if you like. acoustic!!!!

3. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Electric allows you to be sloppy. If you use any kind of distortion it is even worse. There is nothing better than fret buzz on an acoustic to let a beginner know he is doing something wrong.

4. fish78

fish78 Member

You guys aren't helping me justify an electric!...

5. bobbypols

bobbypols Member

electric if you play loud and with no gain and single coils. Then if you make a noise or not fret enough you will hear that also. But, really the important question is what do you want to play? what type of music? If all you want to play is Gnr or ACDC just go electric...

6. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

there are plus and minuses to both, an acoustic is harder to play, but you develop hand stregth, and can hear what your playing more clearly, however most acoustics are very hard to bend notes with, and solos on an acoustic really only work if your a very advanced player, also an acoustic is easier on the family, they don't have to hear you practice.

An electric is more fun to play and my opinion is that the more you play the better you get, and you can do barre chords and solos on an electric, and techniques that the acoustic just wont do.

My real suggestion is that if your starting out get a teacher to teach you how to be a musician, its real easy to play a guitar, but knowing music theory and techniques will make you much better in the long run, books and internet lessons only get you so far, and most people really don't have the ability to get much out of the books and intenet courses, a teacher will force you to work on things you wont do on your own.