Easiest DAW for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by plaidbeer, Dec 22, 2017.

What DAW is the easiest to learn for a beginner?

1. Ableton Live

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Reason

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Logic

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. Reaper

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Studio One

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

Just quoting this to see how many people keep blurting out suggestions without reading the thread. :)

jomama2 likes this.
  3. explorer76

explorer76 Member

I didn't realize that. Thanks!

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  4. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Blurting Out DAW kept blurting out when I last used it. :)

SteveO likes this.
  5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Given the possibility of someone coming across this thread with a similar question, while further suggestions might not be useful to the OP, they might be more helpful than you give credit for.

6. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Count me in as one who is still interested. ;)

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  7. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

As a total DAW rookie I started with Tracktion. But I had to have a Mackie rep on the phone for an hour or so before I understood what it was doing and how to make it work. After that I loved it.......until they dropped support for it. But I loved it way more than Cubase or Sonar. I went from Sonar to Reaper, and Reaper will now be my DAW of choice. I've heard Tracktion is back, maybe it got picked up by another vendor? I dont know, but I read they wanted to keep it the way it was, which is good. For anything you will ever do at home, Reaper is a no brainer.

+NRG likes this.
  8. feet

feet Supporting Member

i used to used kristal way back when i first started. it was butt ass simple and even i could figure it out. i think it eventually turned into studio one. which i've been trying to track with for the first time ever the last few days. its ok. again, not breathtakingly intuitive, but there are some need streamlining and simplifications done. it is mainly a case of trying to translate your skills from one daw to another and figuring out what everything is now called and where it could be found.

sonar was easier to track with, but studio one is far easier to mix with. especially with how the busses and console view works. i had to buy the full version because i had vsts i liked, but now that i'm looking through them, the presonus plugins are pretty damn good. wish i had known that sooner. if i were a more skilled person, i could definitely get by with just those plugins, and maybe a few of their native add ons.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I looked. It's there and the earlier version (T6) is FREE.
    Free is a good price. I'll probably check it out if no strings are attached.
    There is no perfect DAW for me AFAIK. I want simple clear and easy to see but with great depth of features, that I want, without all the clutter of the stuff that others want.

GA20T and soundchaser59 like this.
  10. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Tracktion was bought back from Mackie by the original dev, so it couldn't possibly be in better hands.

Tracktion is fantastic. 6 is really good, newer versions are as well as being reasonably priced.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  11. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Supposedly many famous musicians use multiple DAWs because each has advantages and disadvantages. Which follows the disciplines I know from being a degreed designer. I need Illustrator, InDesign, AND Photoshop to create illustrations, art, and designs - one program won't do it all.

ctreitzell likes this.
  12. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Makes sense for people who make a living in music production, but I can't see it for people working at home making their own tunes. Not sure about the analogy. I'm no graphic artist by any stretch, and I'm not arguing with you at all, just making gratuitous beer-fueled observations, but aren't InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop all Adobe products that work together, like a single integrated master suite software package? Adobe products have always seemed to me like they are designed to milk the consumer's wallet for every possible penny, when in fact they could have made one big program that tries to do it all, kinda like my impression of what Cakewalk tried to do with Sonar. If you were doing simple graphics for your own personal use, perhaps you could do everything you need to do with just one powerful program? In the same sense that I can do everything I need to do at home with Reaper, without the extra trimmings that come with Sonar.

13. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Three different disciplines. Illustration, photography, and graphic layout.

I'm a former magazine art director who used all three interchangeably. You can't do everything with just one, but you can approximate somewhat with Illustrator and creating "illustrations" in Photoshop. Perhaps Adobe has a racket with Creative Suite, but they also created some of the best industry standard software. And replaced QuarkXPress the former standard, with InDesign.

Reaper can't do everything Live does because Live is designed to create edm and for manipulating samples in a "live" performance environment. I struggle trying to work in Live as I do in Reaper. Live has its own way of working and it's a bit tricky learning that curve.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

You are lucky that your needs match your s/w.
    I like to have full MIDI with an events list, waveform editing, notation, sampler, pitch correction, etc., all built in without having to go to addons or complementary extra s/w but I do not do enough to justify trying every DAW or incurring the cost of addon features or specialized extra s/w. The perfect package is elusive.

15. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

What I want is the ease of Studio One 3 which i use regularly and the morphining and fun as well as creation you can do with Ableton Live! Thus, I have to use both of them, which in itself is not such a bad thing.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  16. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

This is precisely what Ableton LIVE does perfectly. In session view, you're creating what they call "clips". A clip can be a 2 bar GTR phrase, a 16 bar vocal section, just a chord, a 8 bar drum sequence, what-have-you. You can create however many clips in a grid of recorded takes both vertically(played one at a time) or horizontally with a GTR phrase sitting next to a bass GTR phrase, next to a drum bit. This horizontal group of clips is called a "scene". One can move clips in and out/around a scene to set-up a full band 16 bar phrase "verse" section, for example. I typically will fool around with vertical clips of GTR "takes" or keyboard takes - laying them side by side until I've created a pleasant scene(A Section, B section, etc).
    Then simply copy and paste the already pleasantly designed clips into the linear arrangement view to create a 3 minute song or 16 minute Opus. Whatever

rinse - repeat until you've put together the tune of your dreams.

peace

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  17. jomama2

jomama2 Member

I like that concept. A very for-dummies approach that's easy to manipulate. Might have to try Ableton.

18. NashSG

NashSG Member

Reason's setup where it shows stuff laid out like hardware might help some users out.

Fruityloops is a pretty good entry level app as it's interface is pretty simple.

ctreitzell likes this.
  19. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Garageband is the easiest. By a long shot.

20. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Hardware emulation is why I was originally interested in Reason (and Rebirth). It always surprises me that folks don't understand routing signals. That's how it was before computers, and if you had spent much time routing real gear together (there was no other way 25 years ago). I also use SawStudio which is also hardware emulation, and one of the reasons why I still use SawStudio as my main mixing DAW.