Easiest device(s)/set up for recording ANY board mix

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Baminated, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

Im not talking about recording each channel on a separate trCk, but capturing the entire overall mix from the board.
    My inquiry is in regards to setup and gear & not whether or not board recordings are optimal or not

(1) are there little field recorders for that to where theres a way to hook it up to the mixer?
    (2) what inputs/outputs are needed for both the recorder and the board?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. EyeUrnMayDen

EyeUrnMayDen Member

TRS cable out of the headphone jack on the board. Depending on your recorder, you can go straight in with TRS, or buy an adaptor to go from TRS -> 2x male XLR or TRS -> 2x RCA.

Keep in mind this was mixed for the mains at the venue so it wont sound great.

Baminated likes this.
  3. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

What you usually get from a board mix, is kick drum, bass and vocals. No guitars since they are too loud to go through the mixer and FOH.

jmoose, buddaman71 and Baminated like this.
  4. Baminated

Baminated Member

Understood about that aspect, my inquiry regarded setup and gear not the viability thereof

5. jmoose

jmoose Member

Headphone jack?!? Far from ideal, wrong impedance... high levels etc. Why??? Totally NOT recommended.

Besides, chances are good that the engineer mixing the wants to use his cans... and if they PFL solo something, well...

Any console worth using is going to have dedicated line/record outs that are a duplicate of the main outs, that includes everything from a $50k mixer to a $500 Smackie. Use those. Most likely its going to be a balanced +4dB line level signal. Occasionally, on cheaper boards its -10dB RCA unbalanced.

Any stereo recorder or interface that can take a line level signal will work. Just gotta have the right plugs and/or adapters on hand.

In reality you're better off with a 4 channel interface, taking the stereo board mix, hanging a pair of stereo room mics then blending them back at home where you can hear everything. The result is something called a "matrix recording" and can actually sound quite good!

Baminated likes this.
  6. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

This right here.

Maybe a portable tascam digital 4 track would do the trick. 2 condenser mics in the room set up in stereo(x-y maybe?) And the stereo line out from the board. Blend to taste. You prolly need a few hundred bucks to get the recorder and 2 cheap condenser mics.

Baminated and jmoose like this.
  7. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Zoom or Tascam handheld recorder. Carry a pair of TRS - XLR adapters, and split off from a Matrix. If you get a 4 channel recorder with X/Y mics, you can put it up on a stand and record the room too.

8. Baminated

Baminated Member

Thanks for the replies.
    My plan was to set my zoom q3 (audio only) in the moddle of the room, amd this idea about hooking up anninterface to the board sounds good, bit are there interfaces with a built in recording/storage capalbolity , or are we talking more gear like a laptop/tablet with a DAW plus the interface?
    That would make it a bit too much of a hassle for me, although more ideal.
    I saw that if i got a zoom h4n, it has 2 xlrs. Is there a way to hooknthe record out of the board into thise stereo?