Easiest way and best sound for YouTube clips?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Bongofish, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Bongofish

Bongofish Member

Hi all

I’m interested in doing some videos for YouTube. Just covering solos and songs etc etc.

What’s the best and easiest way to get a half descent sound while filming.

I’ve just orderd a tripod for my iPhone 7 Plus and just want to have it set up click record and then click play on the backing track and away I go. I can always do slight editing on the I phone. Anyway I can get a better sound straight into the the iPhone rather than just the mic on the I phone?

Don’t really fancy recording it into a daw first and then pretending to play it back then putting the two together. Seems a very drawn out and not a true representation of playing live way to do it.

Or if there is any better cheap way to do it that would be great too :)

2. Bongofish

Bongofish Member

3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

What most youtubers with good audio do are recording to DAW while filming it, and then sync the recorded audio with the video.
    I film with my DSLR and sync up the files in iMovie, it's pretty simple.

Crazyquilt, rizla and JiveJust like this.
  4. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

An iOS compatible interface like the Apogee One, which has an internal mic that is supposed to be quite impressive or an external mic like the sennheiser ones that plug straight into the thunderbolt port?

I’m interested in this as well so interesting to see what options come forth. I’d rather not have to mix audio/video streams between Mac and phone. So much easier to do in the one device I would have thought.

5. Bongofish

Bongofish Member

Yeh same here. I don’t want to spend hours editing. Just record a solo and it sound half descent on the I phone and upload straight to YouTube. Was hoping that there may be some kind of mic that could plug into the iPhone and use the audio captured on that instead of the iPhone mic. Maybe the apogee does this.

6. PhilF

PhilF Member

Check out the Shure MV-88. It plugs right into the lightening port. I believe it can be set as your mic when recording video very easily. Records in stereo if needed. Not cheap, but its about as easy as it gets for higher quality sound.