East Coast vacation ideas?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by skhan007, Feb 19, 2013.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I have limited vacation time and was thinking about taking the family for some long weekends here and there. The big week+ long vacations are not possible. So, from the DC area, headed North or South, what do you guys like as weekend vacation spots that are kid friendly?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Lots of fun stuff in Manhattan.
    Nice beaches in North and South Carolina, even Ocean City is okay.
    Berkley Springs West Virgina for a country getaway.

Kind of depends how old the kids are and what you're looking for.

3. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Heading south:
    - Williamsburg/Busch Gardens.
    - Kill Devil Hills, NC. Wright Brothers Memorial & Museum. Side trip to Roanoke Island to see Fort Raleigh Historic site & NC Aquarium.
    - Rafting the Nantahala, French Broad (NC), New (WV), Nolichucky (TN), or Chattooga section III (SC) Rivers. http://www.noc.com/whitewater-rafting/
    - Myrtle Beach is pretty touristy but there are some nicer areas (North Myrtle/Cherry Grove) and you can get some killer deals on lodging. Plenty of kid-friendly stuff to do there.
    - Key Largo. Fly into MIA, drive to KL. Snorkel on Pennekamp Reef, go fishing/sailing/kayaking, do the dolphin encounter & Everglades eco-tour.

Edit: Good call on Manhattan GCDEF. Took my daughter there last year for a 3-day & we had a blast.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I was a chaperone for my daughter's high school choir trip up there a few years ago. Had a fantastic time. Too much walking for really little kids, but with the zoo, the museums, the toy stores, all the food, the park, Broadway, it's impossible to be bored or run out of things to do.

5. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Just got back from a long ski weekend at Deep Creek Lake. It's nice in the summer as well. http://www.deepcreek.com

6. wilerty

wilerty Member

7. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Mine was 19 & heavily into art & literature, so we hit the Met & Brooklyn Museums. Saw a good deal of midtown andthe W Village & caught a show at the Vanguard. The subway & bus systems are great there but we walked a lot too.

8. smcgov

smcgov Member

Philly is a great walkable city full of sights....Ocean City NJ is a really nice beach town. Of course, one is where I live and the other where my family has a vacation home...

9. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

The DE/MD beaches are always popular and most are family friendly 24 hours. I like Bethany, Fenwick Island and Ocean City.
    Williamsburg, VA is a great location from a historic perspective and having Busch Gardens there makes for a great time at a cool theme park.
    Philly is cool, too, if you know where to go and the Camden aquarium makes for a nice visit, but don't hang around Camden after dark.
    Same goes for Baltimore and the Inner Harbor area. Great place by day, but don't get lost at night.
    Even Washington D.C. makes for a great and educational couple of days.

10. saneff

saneff Silver Supporting Member

I have a house that will hold a bunch of people at Debordieu on the SC coast. Its a private beach and country club. When are you wanting to go? You may have said in the OP but I missed it. I don't rent it but I let friends use it and cover expenses for the time frame. I also will accept Gibsons and Fender and G&Ls as payment.

11. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Boston stay at the Omni Parker House.

12. M40A1

M40A1 Supporting Member

Asheville and the Biltmore is pretty cool.

13. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Finger Lakes region (Upstate NY)
    Delaware beaches (Rehoboth, Bethany, etc.)
    NYC