Eastern NC Ampfest!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LavaMan, Mar 11, 2006.

1. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Attention Stu, Rick, Eddie Burman, all NC players who participated in the ampfest near Raleigh last year!

I would like to host the ampfest this year in Fayetteville in late April at a brand new commmunity center (with small pool and plenty of parking) in the neighborhood I live in.

The only negative here is travel, as Fayetteville is about 90 miles from the triangle where Indoor Storm and Fat Sound are located along with a lot of the musicians who participated last year.

This Community Center is really nice and is exclusive to the folks who live in my subdivison. The whole neighborhood is brand new and a lot of homes are still under construction.

So - need some input here! I thinking about the 3rd or 4th Saturday in April, but am open to suggestions.

I can arrange the catering piece - am open to help here also.

email me at mark@lavacable.com

or call (910) 797-7214 and leave a message if you are interested.

2. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

sounds like a road trip to me...!! I can bring my Aiken and a nice old super if needed

3. SeanF

SeanF Member

I'll be there! what neighborhood are you in?

4. LavaMan

Sounds good.

One more note. Thought we could have an an agenda something like this:

9 am to 11 am: Set Up/Introductions

11 am to Noon: Amp/Guitar Demo's

Noon to 1 pm: Lunch/Socialize (continue demos if necessary)

1pm to 2pm: Guitar Clinic TBD (Have a few high profile ideas)

2 pm - 3pm: Jam Session

3pm - 4pm: Tear Down

5. LavaMan

Sean - near Cliffdale Road and Raeford Road intersection

6. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Here is an idea I'm sure you have allready though of. See if you can get the Top Hat folks as they have moved here to NC. Also, the maker of Car Steve Car I believe his name is. If you can get him, I love to hear Jason of Steelbender play through the Fuchs amp. Off course we can't forget Gregg Germino. Heck NC can boast of having the best ampfest if we can just get our own people there.

7. LavaMan

Yup - I am already working down those lines and plan to contact those folks next week. Both Greg Germino and Brian Gearhart (Top Hat) were at the last ampfest.

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I'd probably swing over from Raleigh for that ... I'm new to Raleigh and need to make some musical connections. ...

9. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Is this an invite only thing, because I'm here in Fayetteville and would really like to hear (maybe play...) some good music with good people. Depending on my work schedule too...

10. LavaMan

Yes - the facililty is a little small, but I am hoping we get about 30-35 folks like we did last time. With you living in Fayetteville should be no problem. The event is more of an amp showcase, I'm hoping this year we can have an official jam portion and maybe get a semi-to high profile guitarist to do a short clinic.

11. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I do not need to play and would be perfectly content to just listen and learn. Hey, I just used my Lava cable. Why did it say made in Japan. Are some of the parts from there and then assembled in Fayetville?

12. LavaMan

Yes. As per my signature I use Canare and Mogami Cable both of which are made in Japan. If you bought the cable at Indoor Storm in Raleigh, or Edwards Music in Fayetteville, it is Canare GS-6 and I just solder the ends on and package it.

13. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Yo lavaman..I might be interested..I live outside Asheville....BTW...Headstrong Amps are here in Asheville...give them a call and see if they will come..I bet they will!!!...Bloozman

14. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Sounds like fun. I had a blast last year. I have few things I could bring:D :AOK
    I will send you a PM

15. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Sharkey, tell me about the Emplexador. I tried one out yesterday. You know how it is trying something out. You wish you could take it home for about two days. You get home and imagine it sounded way beter than it really did. Off all the amps I tried yesterday, that is the one I'm thinking about the next day. It sounded the best with single coils of any I've tried lately. The VHT Deliverance also sounds good with single coils.

The Lava cable is great. I'm switching from Monster to Lava.

16. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

KeithT4e,
    One of the best EL-34 amps out there. Very good MV. It sounded as good as anything I heard at last years tonefest except for maybe Greg Germino's Club 40 for the tone I like.

I just sold mine to forum member Crunchboy and I think he loves it as well.
    Used ones can be had for arround 1200.00. I've played amps that cost twice that much that didn't sound any better. For the life of me I can't figure out why the resale isn't higher on these.

17. LavaMan

Just called today top make resevations for the center for April 29th from 9 am to 6 pm. The center is really nice, furnished with couches. Some of the tables can be moved, which I plan on doing. Space will be limited so, there will be one amp per person, and up to 5 amp limit for manufacturers and stores. The bad news is that they will not be opening up the poool until May.

I have talked with Greg at Germino Amps,(has several new models) Brian at Top Hat Amps (he has a new 2-channel which should be there) and both Stu at Fat Sound and Eddie at Indoor Storm. Looks all these folks will be able to participate - but are unconfirmed until we get closer. I plan on getting in touch with Steve at Carr Amps also.

More to follow.

18. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Very cool. Jack Briggs is in Raleigh area too, he'd be a good invite. What about McNaught and Splawn??

19. LavaMan

Good catch - I will call those guys.

20. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I'm in Wilmington and would be interested in checking it out if there was room. I could bring my Bumbox Cielo Reverb 50 with 1x15 cab, if there was room. If not that is cool too, I'm just new to the area and would love to meet some more gear page members.