Eastman Guitar Opinions/Comments

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gtraddict, Mar 14, 2006.

1. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I was wondering what comments most of you had about Eastman guitars. I was looking around for a nice moderatley priced Jazz guitar when I came across these. Prices looked good for what you got 2,000 to well over 3,000 with little markdown on a carved guitar, solid wood. Then I found out that they were made in China and got shocked:eek: . I could get a used carved out PRS for about the same depending on which one I would want. I also found out D'Angelico has a similiar thing going on.

2. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I haven't been able to play one yet, unfortunatley. Though I drool over the AR805-CE. They're hand crafted...and I have seen some posts from people noting inconsistencies probably because of that. Eastman is also known for violins and cellos.

3. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

I have played my share of them. They play pretty well and sound pretty good. My biggest gripe....... They are not very loud at all. They lack any authority and projection. Good Jazz guitars for the newb. I have played everything from the Antique finishes, to the high end models. Decent guitars. M.E.

4. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have one of the 17" models. I picked it up used. I find it to be a well made, balanced, and fairly loud guitar. I have played perhaps 10 or 12 of them. About half of those were as good as mine. I don't have a lot of experience with archtops, but I think a good Eastman is a decent value. The plywood Benedettos list for 5K.

5. -kk-

-kk- Member

some may balk at the price but plywood is such a precious tonewood, its a steal. comparable prob only to those MDF guitars :D

6. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I guess I will be searching the market because I cannot see putting that much into a Chinese instrument, except if I go through ebay or something since they go for a lot lot less since they do not have a resale value. I might just have to dig around a little bit more to find something I like.

7. HHB

HHB Member

I picked up a Cort Joe Beck model, used for 300 w/ case, I'm really happy w/ it for an entry level jazz guitar, another option maybe

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

ACtually, the best deal on jazz guitars is a used Heritage. The 575 has a carved, solid wood top and sells used for around $1k. You probably want to change out the pickups...

9. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

My favorite entry to mid level jazz guitar (and some people have different opinions of what defines 'entry-level') is the Ibanez AF105 which I own and really like.

Eventually, when I'm ready, I'd like to upgrade to a Heritage or Eastman. Probably the mentioned Heritage 575.