Eastman jazz guitars...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dogfood, Jun 7, 2006.

1. dogfood

dogfood Member

Hand carved tops, also build quality violins, Chinese. I just thought I'd toss that one out there and see what happens. Discuss.

www.eastmanguitars.com

2. HHB

HHB Member

I played one the rep had in the store I teach out of, it was really nice, sounded amazing acousticly, superb fit and finish, I just have to pass as it's Chinese and I don't buy Chinese stuff if I have a choice, it's the best deal going in some ways, the worst in others IMO

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

There's a small specialty guitar store here that has them. They look very nice, and play very nice, and are priced attractively compared to other instruments of similar quality.
    These days, where it is built doesn't mean a lot to me if the quality and sound is there. If it were 20 years ago, I might be more skeptical. But see one for yourself. They are really nice guitars.
    It should be noted that I am not a jazzer, but my hands and ears loved them, as well as my eyes.

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I have two buddies who bought them and they both love 'em.

A comparable American made guit would be twice (or more) as much.

The Chinese are allright by me.

5. steve rowen

steve rowen Member

They contacted me about hardware for a new guitar they were coming out with. All they wanted was cheap, cheap, cheap with some percieved value. A friend has one of the jazz boxes on the order of a Johhny Smith, and it had to go back several times for repairs. Cheap pots and electronics.

6. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

Hey Bill! At what store do you teach? I would like to play an Eastman and am up for a road trip to the mountains soon!

7. HHB

HHB Member

Tempo Music in Hendersonville, still waiting to see any guitars show up, these were the road reps pieces, I'll give ya a heads up when I see some on the floor

8. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have one of the 17" models and love it. No issues at all. Sounds best acousticly.

9. Hustafaben

Hustafaben Member

I have had my Eastman for over a year now. It is AMAZING. I have had zero problems with the "cheap" electronics. Seriously, how much money need you spend on a plastic under the pickguard pinwheel for volume? The wiring is sound, and after I had a tone knob installed, the guitar is great. I do care what other people think of my axe. I haven't had a fellow jazz guitarist play my axe yet that didn't love it. By the way, the guitar is beautiful. When Eastman first started selling guitars they had some serious quality control problems, but now they have luthiers that do any work that needs to be done in the US (I think the luthiers even do quality control), and generally the gutiars just get better every year. I played five or six Eastmans in the store where I bought mine. I eventually had the sells rep play three of them so that I could choose the one with the best acoustic sound to my ears while I was turned around. I didn't even look at the guitar I ended up buying until I had it in the case. I played each blindfolded. When I looked down and saw the violin finish I was amazed. The thing is arched top and back, so it projects incredibly well. Actually it projects so well that I had to put t-shirts in for amplified playing. There are a couple of spots on the binding where it looks like stain was dripped on it, but all in all I have zero complaints. Just for the record I played numerous jazz guitars before I decided on this one. The Eastman beat a D'Angelico, ES-175, ES-335, and other guitars that are considered more the staple. I played the ES-175 and the Eastman side-by-side through Goodsell and a Fender Twin Reverb. Basically, I covered all the bases and went and saw firsthand how each guitar stacked up. My Eastman has the best feeling neck and most comfortable playability I've ever had with an axe.

I guess you could say I'm a fan.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I was looking into one recently and all the horror stories online (regarding build qualiry,bad glue, guitars falling apart after time) scared me away. Hope they got better.

11. AD

AD Supporting Member

I have a new El Rey II and it's killer. I had tried the John Pisano model and WOW!

I bought the El Rey over the phone, but the dealer called me the next day saiying there was a little noise going so they would upgrade the pots and caps to USA parts before shipping it out...No issues since i've received it.

12. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

I'm kind of interested in checking out an El Rey myself. Does it work for various styles?

Buddy

13. LTE

LTE Member

I've been thinking about Eastman guitars as well.

I'm down to three models.

Hofner Jazzica, Heritage Sweet 16 and an Eastman.

Any thoughts on these three?

14. steve rowen

steve rowen Member

My friend Sid Jacobs, the silver haired guy that demos Hofners at their booth at NAMM loves them. He plays them by choice, although He has started using the 335 style Hofner with an ebony bridge, and an acoustic guitar style mic in one F hole in the last couple of years. He gets a big archtop sound that way in a real comfortable guitar. Sid's in big demand as an LA jazz session guy, and teaches at Guitar institute as well.
    Steve Rowen

15. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I totally dig the AR800-CE model; 16" body, oval soundhole, 25.5" scale. Great necks, beautiful wood, and the ones I've seen have been well built.

/rick

16. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

What are the neck shapes like on these fiddles... slim 60's, med, or fat 50's?

Thanks, Ray

17. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

The ones I've played have been a nice medium chunk with a very comfortable shape; great necks (for my taste, anyway).

/rick

18. scottlr

scottlr Member

I learned to play with an archtop acoustic. It was an odd brand called J.W. Johnson, which I am told was possibly made by Kay. Anyway, I have long wanted to get another archtop acoustic (no pup at all), but with a cutaway. I can't afford one at the moment, but when I can, I'll be looking at an Eastman most likely. Funny, when I was a kid, I saw more archtop acoustics than dreadnoughts, but these days, you hardly ever see anyone playing one.

19. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I recently bought a used Eastman 805CE and have been loving it. Sounds great and it's comfortable for me (17" body guitars are a tad too big for my liking). With its solid top, it's strictly a jazz box, trying it for blues or anything louder would cause feedback.

Here she is: [​IMG]

20. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

Simply beautiful!