Eastman model comperable to Andersen Electric Archie

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by thesedaze, Aug 27, 2006.

1. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I'm stuck between two Eastman models on the search for a comparable Eastman variation of Andersen's Electric Archie.

The Electric Archie is a 14" lower bout, dual humbucker, 2" deep model w/ a traditional style archtop bridge.

I am eyeing both the Eastman El Rey ER2, which is a 14" lower bout, dual humbucker, 2" deep hollow model w/out fholes and with a floating tune-o-matic bridge....

...and the Eastman T145SM which is a 15" lower bout, dual humbucker, about 2" deep hollow w/ fholes and w/ a traditional archtop bridge.

I understand the bracing will differ on the T145SM and the ER2 being that one has fholes and the other doesnt. The T145SM also appears to not only be wider, but a bit longer than both of the other guitars, but with that asside....

Which do you feel is built more closely to the Andersen? I have yet to play them, and I know that playing them would solve all of the world's mysteries, but unfortunately I don't have that opportunity.

Thanks!

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Boy, I'll tell ya... I played an Electric Archie about a month or so ago, and it has to be one of the finest guitars I'v EVER played.

An Eastman is going to have to work REALLY hadr to get into that territory.

Still, I'll be interested in hearing about what you end up with...

3. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

tell me all about it...what particulars did you enjoy about it most?

4. Dave Orban

Well, the overall dimensions were nice... made for a very comfortable guitar, seated, or strapped... and, it just felt wonderful... the guitar felt very alive, fit and finish were extraordinary. I never got to play it plugged in, but unplugged, it was great. And, the overall aesthetics just seemed perfect. Shape, headstock, pickguard, etc. Not every high-end guitar excels on all aesthitic counts, but this one does, at least for me.

If I could have afforded it, I would have walked out of the store with it that day, without question.

5. Ogre

Ogre Member

I would certainly plug it in, as that is the point that Anderson guitars lose their appeal to me. I had a Cobra that was a great feeling & playing guitar, but the tone was not good. I think their pickups are the glaring weakness.

6. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I'm speaking of Andersen, the fine archtop builder, not Anderson the ugly 1980s flat top strat ripoffs.

7. Ogre

Ogre Member

I stand corrected!

8. Dave Orban

9. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Ive played the El Ray and it was very cool to play and look at but the finish was kinda cheap and the way the instrument was put together was a bit sloppy. Its basically a really high end chinese archtop. The tone however is cool without the f holes.

10. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I've definately heard it could use a fresh setup upon arrival, but thenagain, so do most guitars. In regards to the finish, do you mean the finish is 'thin', easy to scratch, etc? I wouldnt really consider that cheap, if that's the case...more like traditional furniture finish rather than the plastic based finish seen on modern guitars.

How's the bridge? I'd probably change out the tuners for some Gotoh 510 Delta's.

11. AD

AD Supporting Member

I have an El Rey II however no experience w/ Andersen's - The El Rey II is a phenomenal axe. Downsides: slightly neck heavy, neck width on the slim side for me.

I had the intention of swapping my ERII and buying an Eastman archtop - I brought the ER to my fave store and a/b'ed it to 4 other Eastman archtops including a Pisano model. Kept the ER - it's just that good.

There is such a buzz on them here locally that the store offered me the full amount i paid for as a trade in. hope this helps

12. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I didnt say it was thin, I said it was cheap. basically, its poorly applied in my opinion. Like many eastman models, the finish around the neck joint is sloppy and the one I played had traces of lacquer on the fretboard. It just didnt feel right to me. Like I said though, the sound was definitly cool.

13. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have one of the 17" Eastman archtops, and I love the way it sounds acousticly. Plugged in, it feeds back at pretty low volume levels. But for sitting around the living room, it's hard to beat.(at its price point)

14. uburoibob

uburoibob Yanuziello Guitar Enthusiast Supporting Member

I've played both. Really not comparable. Steve's guitars are just pure magic. Eastman's guitars are just nice for the money. Two completely different worlds. I own a Little Archie now, and anticipate ordering an Electric Archie. Dave... which store has an Electric Archie right now?

Bob

15. Dave Orban

It was about a month ago that I had played it at John Reynolds' Golden Age Vintage in Westfield, NJ: http://www.goldenageguitars.com/

16. uburoibob

uburoibob Yanuziello Guitar Enthusiast Supporting Member

Thanks Dave!

Bob

17. Stratclaw

Stratclaw Member

18. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

The only things "comparable" between any Eastman (no matter how well set up or modified) and a Steve Andersen guitar is that they both have 6 strings. The Andersen "Archies" are among the finest instruments around in terms of craft, materials, fit and finish. Eastman can't compete or compare...and they aren't trying to.

Eastman does make some "good for the $" instruments. Still, there ain't nothing like the real thing, baby.

Clem

19. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Did ya get a chance to try an Eastman El Rey? I'm eyeing them, pretty sure one of the El Rey models will be my next major guitar purchase at some point. I'm very happy with my Eastman 805CE archtop. The ER2 looks like it will give me a complementing versatility for louder playing situations. Wonder how it would do in fusion or rock situations...any thoughts? I know the ER3 is more designed for rock than the ER2, but I know I'll use it slightly more for jazz, so I'm wondering how versatile the ER2 is..

20. Dave Orban