Eastman SB59

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kb813, Aug 20, 2019.

1. kb813

kb813 Silver Supporting Member

Do any of you kind people own or have any experience with the Eastman SB59 Solid Body?

Thanks.

2. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I dont own one but played a friends at an open mike a couple of weeks ago. Been thinking about it since. Played effortlessly and just sounded glorious. Ive been on the lookout for a used one.

peskypesky and HERSCHEL like this.
  3. radiolab

radiolab Member

Amazing guitars. Rarely do they come up used. there’s a good reason for that.

peskypesky and HERSCHEL like this.
  4. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Played a few...great tone, light weight and excellent feel. If I was in the market for a singlecut it would top my short list.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  5. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

I dont own one but I ran into a used one at a GC some months ago and, yeah, been on my mind ever since, too. I was extremely impressed. Would love a black one.

6. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

derekd likes this.
  7. zguitar71

zguitar71 Supporting Member

Best value LP type guitar. They compare to high end LP type guitars and can hold there own. While they may not have the fit and finish standards of a Collings they are still very good and very close. They do; however, tonally compare to Collings. I have a Collings CL and if The Eastmans has existed when I bought the Collings I would have bought the Eastman. The three I have played all sounded as good as the CL and were just as playable.

Rod likes this.
  8. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

This one is close to 9lbs but it had the thickest neck of the four Eastmans I tried that day.

Solid one piece back. No weight relief. Solid maple cap. Long neck tenon. Ebony board. Nice fretwork.

Duncan 59s. CTS pots. Switch craft. Gotoh hardware. Nice guitars.

Mr.db, C-4, atomicmoondog and 8 others like this.
  9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Sky Guitars Music in Denton TX is selling a new black one for $1400......I do love the black ones too....

10. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

They look like great guitars. The build quality on Eastman's is generally flawless in my experience.

derekd and Mincer like this.
  11. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

For the price I was impressed with the one I played. I've not always been impressed by Eastman but the one I tried was nice. If I was in the market for an LP standard then it would be a very good, and cheaper, alternative. The only downside I have experienced with previous Eastmans is the durability of the finish but I have no idea if these new models share that issue.

12. Sirloin

FYI, I got mine from SoundPure in Durham NC. Ask for Eddie.

They had a number of the solid bodies on hand when I was there. If I didn’t already have a Black LP Custom, I would have probably gone with the black one.

jens5 likes this.
  13. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

14. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Eastman makes good guitars, not good for being an import, just plain good stuff.

redgold, bartmcartman and Rob Taft like this.
  15. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Update from my week ago post to say this about the SB59 so far; I had to raise the action and change the strings from 11's to 10's. The fretwork and neck angle on this guitar is fabulous. I can do 1 1/2 step and 2 step bends, feels slinky, and best of all, comes back IN TUNE! The nut is cut flawless. So in playability and appearance, this guitar is superb. Oh and the weight, this guitar with solid back and one piece neck, is 7.5 pounds. I love this weight zone in a solid body.
    I don't love the stock Duncan 59's. They are very tame and soft to my ears. I want to hear more wood/midrange/snarl. I''ll easily invest in a great set of humbuckers to swap out in this. I will also buy much larger strap pins or strap locks as the stock pins are tiny. So far I am very much enamored with this guitar!

16. LBXPDX

LBXPDX Member

Try some UOA5, A4 or A2 magnets in the SD’s.

17. patshep

patshep Supporting Member

I keep looking at these guitars, I need to head down to Rudys and try one...
    do they all have ebony fingerboards? seems like they use both Lollar and Duncan Antiquities
    I actually love the shape... as beautiful as a les paul, and not having to recut or replace the nut is an extra bonus.... the 59v piques my interest big time

18. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I had one, a SB59 vintage hand rubbed finished model, but sent it back after playing it live one night. The guitar was flawless and as described by others here.

What got to me was the neck felt too "V'd" for my personal taste. Had the neck been a bit closer to a LP '59 carve (and I know they all vary a bit), I would gladly have kept it.

One thing about the Duncan Antiquity pickups for me was that they squealed to easily under higher distortion settings, due to being unpotted.

The price was stupidly reasonable, but I realized that I had to go back to my love for LP Custom Shop guitars, which had everything as I desired it to be.

If I were still looking at single cuts, I would easily try another Eastman.

19. Sirloin

I have played six different solid Eastman s. Some with the varnish, some with the VOS look lacquer, and mine and others with “new” looking lacquer. The necks are over the place. Mine is nice an round / full.