1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Eastman: so many models, fill me in

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by pinhooker, May 22, 2011.

1. pinhooker

pinhooker Member

I'm looking into getting a 000/OM, and the eastmans peak my interest. I'm looking to spend around 500$, and it seems like they have a well made for the dollar line, along with nitro finishes. I'm also looking into the recording king 626, or perhaps a seagull? But the eastmans seem to have a huge line.

Now, the amount of models they have is pretty extensive. I'm assuming the price goes up from the one series to the seven series, but then you have the traditional series, which also has the more traditional headstocks, which i much prefer. Any guidance for someone whos never owned an acoustic?

Alot of acoustic I've played, from 300 to 3000$, feel like they have this big dead blanket over them that just feels lifeless. I'd like a lively, bright guitar, which some quality dynamics and volume.

2. Fingertwister

Fingertwister Member

Hi, I have an Eastman E 20 OM, which is their Traditional series, & higher than your quoted budget? It's the only Eastman I've played, but it is a phenomenal playing- & sounding beast - if you can get to try one, you should.

3. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

"Piqued" your interest (sorry).

The rosewood Recording King ROS series 000 is one cheapo import I like. Comes with or without big, dead blanket.

4. VersusTali Venius

VersusTali Venius Member

3 Series (312) would probably be best suited to your budget, but to brighten up the tone a bit, you may want to go up to the 4 series (412) for the rosewood back and sides. They do offer some with maple backs and sides, but I believe that is in their 6 series. I wouldn't overlook their Grand Auditorium size, though.

On a side note: I dug through several guitars from 700-3000 (knowing I wasn't going to spend anything close to the top end), and the Eastman was as good as any other guitar I played in terms of playability and acoustic tone. I ended up getting an 822ce, and my perceived value of it is definitely in the high 2k's, minus a little bit because of the electronics that I do not love, but I got the 822 at what I fell was a very reasonable price. Plugged in, a Taylor is going to smoke it, unplugged though, the Eastman is going to match up against very evenly, with respect to tonal preferences.