EastmanT386 or Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin CW

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shaldeman, Feb 29, 2012.

1. shaldeman

shaldeman Member

I am in the process of searching for a good jazz/blues guitar in the under $1K price range. I really like what I read about these two guitars. The Eastman is scheduled to be out in 8-12 weeks. I have no Godin or Eastman dealer to play these guitars at before purchasing so I am looking for input from those with experience with these 2 companies (or other suggestions as well). The Eastman is a thin-line and the Godin is a hollowbody so I know there is a big difference there. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

I have an Eastman T185 - which is a solid woods thinline. Had four years or so, and totally love it. Had a full archtop Eastman before that, pleased with that too. (Upgraded to a Benedetto, but don't feel the need to update the T185.) Very curious about the new 175-styled Eastman.

My only experience with Godin's have been unplugged in stores, and they all felt very good. Can't give you a direct comparison, though, or comment on these new Eastman laminates directly.

3. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I have a large Godin AND Eastman dealer nearby. I've played tons of both and I own a 5th Avenue.
    Were I to buy sight unseen, I'd say get the Godin. You won't find another maker who builds a more consistent product.
    If you could hand pick, I'd go Eastman. They make some superb instruments, but I've caught several with issues.

4. shaldeman

shaldeman Member

Wish I had the luxury to handpick! What is the name and location of the Godin and Eastman dealer near you? I have not found too many who handle both guitars on-line.

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Just played a Godin 5th today. Very impressed.

6. SpiderWebb

SpiderWebb Member

I just bought a Godin and it is the greatest! If I had the money I would go with a Fender Custom Shop Jazzmaster! Yes! Do It! You deserve it!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012