Eastwood Airline reissues?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by drolling, Feb 11, 2006.

1. drolling

drolling Member

Anybody play one?

After decades of playing strats & teles, I've got a hankering for humbuckers and I'm thinking that the Airline's chambered body would be more comfortable for me than your average Les Paul type solid body.

And I have to admit that the funky look of these guitars appeals to me as well..

But I'd have to order one online, and I'd hate to get stuck w/an unplayable piece of junk - so I'm looking for info on the neck profile, tuning stability, etc..

Altho' it's less crucial, it'd also be nice to know how those Korean "Alnico 100" pickups sound.

I'd really appreciate any info available on these guitars.

thanks,
    david

2. drolling

drolling Member

I keep forgetting not to post obscure questions on the weekend.

So, it's Monday, and everyone's back at their desks...

Anybody play one of these?

Their Mosrite knock-off looks cool, too. How about the quality of the Eastwood RIs in general?

3. morgan

morgan Guest

I've got one, the 3 pickup deluxe model with the bigsby-esque vibrato. Mine was in a very early batch, so later ones may differ. It's very very cool. Fit and finish and setup were great, no issues so far whatsoever. I don't love the feel of the fretboard wood, but it's not bad, just has the cheaper wood feel and look. Soundwise, it's an interesting beast. It's vaguely rickenbacker-ish, but just a bit thicker. Kinda like an SG mixed with a Ric in certain positions. All the pickup positions on the 5-way switch are usable though, which surprised me. It's a medium weight guitar, maybe 9ish, lighter than my various les pauls. One usability gripe though is the knobs. If you're a hard big armed motion strummer like I am when playing with punk and stuff like that, you can hit the row of knobs. But when just I settle down a bit it's fine.

I admit, I bought one for looks, but it sees a lot more action than I thought it would. My bandmates call it the butter pat (I got that vintage white/yellowish color, kinda wish I had gotten the pure white). I'm a guitar snob for the most part, but I'm really impressed with it. I've had it maybe 9 months now or so and I can't see parting with it. He has a great return policy so if you don't like it, I think it's no questions asked.

4. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, thanks morgan- that's the exact one I'm looking at, right down to the color choice. I figured those knobs'll be a pain, just from the photos.

How would you describe the neck profile? I've never played a Ricky, mainly a tele & strat guy - and those necks are all over the place, depending on the model.

Really appreciate the info. Thanks for posting!

5. morgan

morgan Guest

Well, it sounds like a ric, but the neck profile feels much more Gibby to me. Wider on the whole widthwise, but thinish depthwise, similar to my LP deluxe (but a bit wider). Radius-wise it's flatter, less fender. It's kind of a generic feel overall neckwise, if you know what I mean. It's not trying to make a statement like a mid 50's gibson baseball bat neck or some of the deep V's of fenders. Very playable, although I wouldn't call it a superfast neck like an ibanez. Fretwise, it's much more in the fender camp than gibson. Not the very tall fat frets of a gibby. These are skinnier and lower.

By the way, this thing has a great natural resonance. Very musical.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Dang! It's sounding better & better by the minute.. Naturally resonant, medium neck w/flat radius..

The only necks I have a problem with are really skinny 'shredder' types- left hand cramps up pretty fast on those, but this one sounds fine..

..dang.. wish i hadn't stumbled across these..

but thanks for the additional info, Morgan.

7. Antero

Antero Member

I saw this one on their site, and, well, if it sounds as cool as it loooooks...
    [​IMG]

8. BradKM

BradKM Member

That Hopf copy that Antero posted has had me drooling for a couple of weeks now.

9. morgan

morgan Guest

Antero - yeah, I'm jonesin for one of those too. Very cool and unique looking. The mosrite copys look good too.

Drolling - I know, his guitars creep into your brain. I traded a vintage mustang for my airline, and I like the airline more. The tone is more in my camp. It won't be my number #1 (that's an SG custom), but I love to play it, it's big fun, and certainly draws interest.

10. Antero

Antero Member

I'm defintiely gonna crack one day and wind up with four or five of those. :p

11. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Well how do they sound like? any good for the Blues?

12. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

They got a good writeup in Tone Quest Report. Got props for playability, but said the electronics were of lower quality.

13. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

I've been looking at the Airline reissues as well. i had an Airline JB Hutto model (I guess its the Jack White model these days) and I currently have a Supro Belmont. Fun guitars and great for slide.
    A couple of weeks ago I picked up a new Eastwood Sidejack, one of the Mosrite copies, for an incredible price. The finish and hardware was very good and the setup, with the exception of a nut cut way to high, was pretty fair. After setting it up and replacing the pots and cap and wiring the tone control up 'vintage style', I am really liking this guitar. I've been playing it a lot on my live shows and she sounds great. I did some recording last night using my '63 Bassman and I got a killer tone. Overall I would have been impressed with the guitar at twice the price.
    I have a Loolar bridge P90 coming in for it next week. The stock P90's aren't bad but I've been wanting to try one of the Lollars.
    Here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

14. Jim M

Jim M Guest

I ordered one from Music 123, but when i got it, it had the worst buzzing in the headstock - I couldn't figure it out. Anyone else have this problem? I think it was in the tuners, but not sure.

I sent it back as defective (they didn't have another one), and i'm debating on ordering another one from myrareguitars.com.

15. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Buzzing in the headstock could have been a poorly cut nut, or a bad tuner.

16. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

The Eastwood guitars have had my interest for a long time. I've been hankering for this one for a long time :)

[​IMG]

17. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I had a Sidejack, which I thought was pretty cool. Then, one of their Tokai Hummingbirds came up at a stupid deep discount (they'd used it for a demo) and, since that was what I really wanted, I ordered the Tokai, and told Mike I'd return whichever one I liked less. He was totally cool with that.

Bottom line: I liked the Tokai a lot more. The SJ was nice, but the Tokai was superior in just about every way -- sound, fit & finish, materials. There was one exception: The Tokai was seriously neck-heavy.

I wound up selling it about six, eight months later & broke even. I liked it, but it wasn't getting played much.

All that being said, Mike was great to do business with, and the guitars are certainly good for the price. I still get their newsletter, and I'm occasionally tempted by something I see -- I dig the Ichiban & the new Mandocaster, and still sometimes consider getting one of the new & improved Sidejacks, or, better, a SJ baritone.

18. tdu

tdu Member

I was pretty impressed with the Eastwood Airline's I tried. They aren't my cup of tea design wise, but they felt really nice and the pickups sounded great.