Eastwood Airline Tuxedo modification

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LeftyPicker2012, Feb 20, 2012.

1. LeftyPicker2012

LeftyPicker2012 Member

Hey guys, I haven't had much success searching for the answer to my question so I thought I would ask in hopes of finding someone with more experience.

I am seriously thinking about buying a used Eastwood Airline Tuxedo, but it must have bigsby on it. Now my question is which bigsby model will work best, with as little modification (having to drill holes) as possible, to the guitar? Eastwood sells b30's for it, but I am left handed and that model is harder to find for some reason. I have also seen a tuxedo with a B-5, that seemed to work. Any opinions/ideas?

Thanks,
    Joshua

2. simonm

simonm Member

The B3 is designed for a curved top gtr, it would work with a flat top too excpet that without a tension bar the break angle on the bridge will be shallower, and might be an issue, but have never tried one so can't comment. I guess the argument would be lower break angle = less pressure = less sustain and a brighter sound. I have a Harmony H44 where the break angle is almsost nothing and it still sounds great though, so it depends on many other factors.

You might consider an B7 instead if there's space, but that needs a screw into the top, and for some reason it looks a bit wrong to me. But B3 and B7 both look cooler that the B5 IMO, which needs 4 holes. BTW the code LH is used to designate left hand so a search for lh bigbsy b3 or b7 should yield a few sellers - here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Bigsby-...ge-Archtop-Electric-Guitar-B3LH-/360432448248

3. LeftyPicker2012

LeftyPicker2012 Member

Hey, thanks for the info. I had also sent an email to eastwood, and apparently the B-3 may cause the strings to pop out/off of the bridge. I guess this is the "problem" you mentioned. Ha ha. I really didn't want to drill holes in the top, but these guitars don't seem to have wonderful resale value anyway (or am I wrong in that?). Anyway, even though I dislike the looks of the B-30 (Eastwood suggest this model), as I prefer the looks of the models that anchor to the rear strap button, I guess it's the safest model to use.

I'm still considering the B-7...

4. LeftyPicker2012

LeftyPicker2012 Member

Scratch that...Apparently they (eastwood) doesn't suggest any bigsby be used on the Tuxedo, as it has no center block. The only one that would work is the B-3, but not "properly." I'm not happy...haha