Eastwood Guitars Opinions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TonyV, Apr 7, 2008.

1. TonyV

TonyV Member

Anybody own Eastwoods? What do you think?

I was intrigued by the sound samples on their website, especially of the Airline Tuxedo.

There is a dealer local to me but they don't have that particular one in stock. When I get a chance I will head down to try them, I want to see if the necks are too chunky for dainty yet hairy hands.

2. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I tried a couple of the Firebird type guitars they had a year ago and thought the necks were too big.

Jeff

3. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

A friend of mine had one of the basses. it was a total lemon.

4. Mudder

Mudder Member

I had a Savannah DLX. The Burns trem was an abomination, but the finish work was solid. A nice piece of wood, nice neck, no buzzing or sharp frets. The electronics were fine, decent pickups, not great pots or switch. Totally worth the money used IMHO.

5. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

I saw that they reissued the Messenger guitar. I have wanted to get an original Messenger for a long time. But, they didnt include the aluminum neck, or the built-in fuzz, or the original-styled pickups. Really turned me off of the reissue. I feel like the whole original sound is gone. But havent had much experience with the guitars otherwise.

6. Nashville Slim

Nashville Slim Member

I played a Tuxedo and an Airline Deluxe 3-pup with a Bigsby, and they both sounded amazing, and were set up very nicely. I have been gassing for one of each ever since. I was totally unimpressed with a used Firebird-style that I played a while back, but it had been pretty battered.

7. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

I had an Eastwood baritone for a while -- good quality for the $$$. Better deal used, of course -- you can find 'em all day long on ebay. If I had kept my Eastwood, I would have changed out the Brand X pickups for something better.

8. susudio

susudio Member

Although I don't own one, I've heard an Eastwood Tuxedo played in a jam situation. It's got an old school sound with the p 90's. If you pose this question in the Sound Hound Lounge, "West Coast Blues thread etc", you'll get at least a few responses concerning that guitar specifically. At least one of the regular posters owns one.

9. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

usually a red flag for me.

10. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

average build quality of other korean made guitars, but the newer models are getting better. I have owned one, and I have a local dealer here so Ive been plinking on them for a couple years and I can say quality control is good. also great customer service and response to emails.

I wouldnt mind a Wandre actually. Id strip that sucker and refinish in metalflake and put some proper mini humbuckers in it.

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

Well, you can find a lot of really nice guitars on ebay all day long too...!

I'm wondering about the Eastwood model H-44 that's sort of copied from the old Harmony Stratotone, anyone try one of these? How are they?

[​IMG]

12. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

13. Chuck King

Chuck King Member

I spent some time with a Saturn 63 recently. An odd guitar by any measure, and I couldn't really get a tone I liked out of it. It has a weird tone circuit; I'm not sure what the various positions on the tone selector switch actually do. I was encouraged because the pickups look a lot like DeArmonds, but I'd like to hear them in another, more straightforward design.

14. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

FWIW, anything they list at $499 or more (plus the single-pickup H44) is made in Korea. The cheaper guitars (including the Firebird-y one, I believe) are Chinese.

I want a single-pickup H44.

15. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Do you know if they are putting truss rods in the H44? I know the original Stratotones didn't have truss rods.

16. XKnight

XKnight Member

If Clint makes them, I'm in.

17. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I've never held one in person, but I read somewhere that they do have a truss rod.

18. playon

playon Supporting Member

There's a truss rod cover on the guitar in the pic I posted, so I'd say there's a 100% chance they have them. ;)

19. thierry514

thierry514 Member

Had a white Hi-Flyer stop tail. Well built guitar for the price, 2 P90 give a real agressive and raw sound. Fast neck. Cool looking guitar. Really loved it, but I sold it to buy my Les Paul Junior.

20. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Anybody try one of their Johnny Ramone knock-offs? I'm really curious about those.