Eastwood Guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Joey.lyons01, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Joey.lyons01

Joey.lyons01 Member

I'm thinking on getting a 2014 Eastwood Magnatone Marksman V. I'm just curious if anyone has played one and could describe what their impressions were. I'm really curious about the pickups that it's stocked with (EW Alnico SC 90s). I couldn't find much information about them anywhere. Thanks all

2. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Did you look at their website? You might also do a dealer search and try contacting one of them.

3. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

I've owned two Eastwoods, both semi-hollow electric 12-strings. My impression is that the quality is decent enough for the money, though I thought the pickups on both were mediocre. My biggest issues with them were thick poly finishes (which I never like - don't know why I had to go through so many poly guitars before I figured this out) and a bit on the heavy side.

4. flywheel

flywheel Member

I too have played way to many poly guitars to find out the same thing in the end.

5. ntmo

ntmo Supporting Member

I have an Eastwood Airline '59 P3, it is a very cool looking guitar. I don't have a problem with the pickups but I have never come to like Korean made guitars. It may be the poly finish or ? I have a few made in China guitars, these always seem to have issues that can be resolved. The Eastwood had no specific issue at all except that it never calls me to play it. I'll never buy another guitar made in Korea and I can't quite tell you why I don't like them.

6. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Owned two Eastwoods, both turds with issues. No more. Kitchsy, overpriced junk.

Four of my friends bought Eastwoods as well. Two sold theirs quickly, one never plays it, and the fourth liked his and still has it.

Four out of five sold in disgust. Not good numbers.

7. Joey.lyons01

Joey.lyons01 Member

I did look at all of the information on Eastwoods website, but of course they want to say that their remake is better than the original, that it builds on any flaws the Bigsby design had.

I'm glad I asked, because I couldn't find any thoughtful product reviews, and I only had a friends word to go off of. It was nice to look at for sure, but that sounds like that's one of the few things Eastwoods have to offer.

Thanks for the information about the poly finish, I never would've known. It doesn't say anything about the finish in any description I've read. How do I know how to avoid that in the future, because based on what I've recently read nitro is the way to go? I could be wrong. I just don't feel like I see that in product descriptions much.

Thanks for the advice

8. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

Nitro is generally reserved for more expensive instruments... hard to find on anything "budget." Eastwood certainly doesn't do any. Basically, you can assume that with MOST guitars, especially guitars under $1500, unless they say otherwise, it'll be poly. Only seen Fender and Gibson do "nitro" on cheaper instruments (Gibson does virtually all of their USA
    guitars in nitro and Fender has done a few Mexican ones in same). If you want more info on that topic, including debates on tonal properties, do a search, you will probably find about 100,000 pages have been written here alone... :)

Back on topic though - regarding Eastwood in general, I have a couple Eastwoods - absolutely 100% agree with the "finish too thick" observation, middlin' pickups (thankfully changeable in most cases) - and the hardware isn't world-class. Tuning stability and intonation are generally minor but ongoing fights. I also find my guitars unnaturally heavy, it seems they should be about a pound lighter or more - I'd guess that they're using super-dense alder, so probably not the pick of the litter wood-wise.

BUT the guitars I've got are designs no one else does (my Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar is the main example) - so the tradeoff isn't the worst if you want something unusual. I like that with some things they are being innovative design-wise. Deals can be had too, they have sales on every now & again. On their USA website I was offered a no-strings 10% discount code automagically just for dithering (adding to my cart and not checking out fast enough I guess!)

One thing I would say is that if you have a choice between a maple and a rosewood fretboard, go for the rosewood - they put so much finish on the maple boards that they feel more like plastic than like wood.

9. Marco78

Marco78 Member

Me too am interested on some Eastwood guitars, but I have read here a lot of bad reviews... I'd to know if are "bad" in comparison to some 2k guitars or in comparison to other asian guitars.

10. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I think they compare badly with the old guitars that they ape. The ones I've played did not have as good playability, sound or overall construction quality as the vintage Harmonys, Supros, Teiscos, etc. that they're based on. Certainly, they don't hold up to other Asian-built guitars in the same price range (such as Hagstrom, Reverend, or the nicer Epiphones).

11. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

Really? Most of those old guitars were cheap catalog guitars with cheap build quality. I'd say that Eastwoods quality is easily a step up. The allure of most of those old guitars was the design or the randomly good sounding cheap pickups, but certainly not the quality.

12. Marco78

Marco78 Member

I don't matter of old guitar that they ape: I would only a guitar with good playability and that can keep the tuning in a decent way. I have had a Ibanez AR 220 that are in that price range that is a very decent guitar.

13. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

There is something about Korean guitars that just rub me the wrong way - I don't know exactly what. A combination of the finish, odd neck carves, junky electronics, and weird fret size. I have owned a bunch (Eastwoods, Brian May, Danelectros and older Epiphones) and always end up selling them (with the exception of two Danelectro 12-strings that I currently own - they are too inexpensive for me to bother selling).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  14. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Yup, and I consider the Eastwoods to be a step down.

15. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Play a Reverend and tell me what you think. They are at least as good as anything made on this continent.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/pete-anderson-pa-1/

16. Gary_

Gary_ Member

I bought a mail-order Sidejack a couple of years ago. The fretwork on it was the worst I have ever seen in my life (deep file marks in every fret!) and one of the pickups didn't work due to the soldering looking like bird s**t on a bad day. Also buzzed like an angry bee because there was no earth connection to the bridge (the wire was in the cavity but was just floating around in the breeze). The paint job wasn't great either..... Oh, and the finish on the fretboard was terrible so as your fingers just 'caught' on it.....

It went back. The replacement was better but not great; I really wanted the guitar so decided to work on it rather than try again. I managed to salvage the frets with a lot of work and, despite the wiring being better this time, it still wasn't great so I stripped it and started again.

It's a great shame because it looked cool and sound-wise I really liked it (a nice jangle from the P90's and I think the roller bridge gave it a little something that made it highly individual in a good way) but even after a lot of TLC from me it was still not a good guitar IMO. Tuning stability was awful, paintwork was iffy, overall quality poor, hardware seemed pretty cheap. It just wasn't worth the effort involved compared with my other guitars.

I've had a Chinese Burny, an Indonesian G&L, and a Korean G&L. All were the same price as the Eastwood and all blew it away with absolute ease on the fit, finish and quality control front. As mentioned, the sound it had was really nice but man alive it was hard to love due to everything else.

It's not with me any more and I would never consider buying one again. Both G&L's and the Burny still live here....

17. Serdontos

Serdontos Member

Also had a Sidejack for a few days.......it went back for a refund.

Most of the guitars they copy, the originals can still be had for almost the same coin, I don't understand why you wouldn't try to get an original, you would have a guitar that will appreciate in value!.

Granted the original Magnatone Mark V and the National Map reso-glass guitars are defintely out of reach for most.

18. timmat

timmat Supporting Member

Many better choices for a nice budget friendly guitar. A local shop was an Eastwood dealer and carried many models at one point. There were fit/finish issues all over the place and they just didn't feel like a quality guitar in my hands. I couldn't find one that played decent. Look at a G&L tribute or Reverend.

19. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

[​IMG]

Gotta say...I love my Airline. I swapped out the pickups for reverend's. I love the character of this thing. Great fretwork. It's got no issues really, maybe just the pickup switch that rattles in the middle position, that's it. Had it for 3-4 years