Eastwood Joey Leone signature thinline?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by snarkle, Dec 18, 2009.

1. snarkle

snarkle Member

2. Calaban

Calaban Member

I owned one of those for about 2 weeks. Ultimately it was not for me and I sent it back. I have nothing but good things to say about the customer service from Eastwood guitars. They were courteous throughout the whole process and gave me no problems whatsoever about the return.

As far as the guitar is concerned I was torn between loving it and not really liking it lol.

The neck on the guitar was fantastic for the most part. For years I have been looking for a semi-hollowbody with a longer scale length so the Joey Leone was really great. The radius was a bit flatter than I prefer but I got used to it. Add to that the coil splitting options and I was sold. The single coil sounds were surprisingly Strat-like, though not exact. In humbucker mode they sounded great...not exactly like a 335, but very classic and warm for the most part.

But there were some build quality issues that were deal breakers for me. The first thing I noticed when it arrived was that a wire had come undone (or had never been soldered) from the pickups. This was a red flag.

Also, the nut didn't fit correctly. It wasn't wide enough. The Joey Leone has a slightly wider neck than standard which was attractive to me and my big sausage fingers. But I think they just took a standard sized nut and glued it into place. It also wasn't a great fit in the nut slot...there was a little space in between the wood and the nut.

In single coil mode some of the pickup combinations were unusable due to buzz. This is to be expected to a degree, but it was WAY more than a regular Strat. Also, when turning the volume down in single OR humbucker mode, there was a very noticeable decrease in treble frequencies...too much for me to be happy with.

Again, the customer service was great. I contacted them about the problems and they basically said take it to a tech and get an estimate for the repairs, and they would decide if they would just pay the tech or have me ship it back for repairs on their dime. But after thinking about it for a while, I decided that while the guitar itself was a great idea, the design and execution were not up to my expectations for the money I spent on it. I returned it for a FULL refund, no questions asked.

Maybe I just got a klunker, but I'm still on the hunt for a long scale semi-hollow.

It's probably worth a shot...just make sure ahead of time that you'll be able to return it if it's not for you. I don't see why they would have changed their policy on that, but it never hurts to ask.

Good luck!

3. subendo

subendo Member

I know that Joey Leone has a wedding band and plays in the ski-area clubs around here (VT) in the winter. He does blues and jazz IIRC. I know a couple of guys who used to play in his band.
    Besides that, he must have something else going on that I don't know about in order to warrant a signature model...I've heard he's a gear maniac like the rest of us - might be on TGP! Chime in Joey!

4. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

Mike is a smart guy and is offering some really nice guitars at attractive price points. The Eastwood booth was next to the Hofner booth at MIAC awhile back. We talked a lot about how few long-scale semi's were on the market at the time, other than the Hofner Verythin Classic and Standard.

Go here for some info on Hofner long-scale semi's (by which I mean thinline with a block of some sort connecting the top and back)

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=422340

Here's a short list of long-scale semi's:
    - Hofner Verythin Classic / Verythin JS / Verythin Evolution (all with 25 1/4" scale)
    - Verythin Standard - currently out-of-production (25 1/4" scale)
    - Hamer Superpro/Talladega - I suspect it has more of a chambered solidbody vibe - I haven't played one yet, though.
    - Gibson Johnny A - hollow except for a small block under the bridge
    - Eastwood Joey Leone
    - Yamaha AES1500 - singlecut
    - Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean - singlecut, out-of-production
    - Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman - singlecut, out-of-production.
    - Fender Starcaster - out-of-production
    - Framus Jan Akkerman - out-of-production, more of a chambered solidbody vibe
    - Framus AK 1974 - more of a chambered solidbody vibe
    - Framus Tennessee Custom - not sure what kind of block, if any
    - Framus Hollywood Custom - not sure what kind of block, if any
    - a variety of old German semi's from Hoyer, Hopf, Klira, Hofner and more

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  5. Calaban

Calaban Member

Thanks for the info Hammer. It's nice to finally see a list of long scale semi's.....been looking for this for a long time!

6. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

There are a few more, no doubt. Ooh, ooh, here's another one:

- Fender Starcaster - the real one, not the Sears one

7. snarkle

snarkle Member

Thanks for the info...sounds like a used Leone might be worth considering but a new one would need too many upgrades to be financially worthwhile.

In other words, I'm still looking for a good used Johnny A...

One more for the long-scale thinline list: the rarely seen Epiphone Al Caiola signature models. They're fully hollow (and slightly deeper than a 335 or Riviera) but the lack of f-holes keeps feedback controllable.

I've got a 1964 Caiola custom that's an astonishing guitar; it's also the one that turned me on to the idea that the combination of Fender scale and Gibson pickups could be a very happy one for those of us who grew up playing Strats but are looking for a jazzier sound.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  8. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

heh heh

9. snarkle

snarkle Member

Joey?

Is that you?

10. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Oh, no, but I know who he is and had to laugh...

Some folks have relentless, nuclear-powered self-promotional machinery in place and can get a endorser deal without anybody knows W(ho)TF they are. Funny...

11. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

Thinline, long-scale, fully hollow guitars:
    - Epi Al Caiola signature series
    - Hofner Veryithin (the original ones from the 1960's), and several other German guitars from the same era from Hoyer, Hopf, Klira, etc.
    - Fender Coronado & Wildwood
    - Gibson L-5CT
    - Gibson ES-350T first reissue
    - Gibson Super 4000 (Chet Atkins) - hardly a production guitar

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010