Easy Digital Delay Pedal...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by raul, May 5, 2008.

1. raul

raul Member

yes, i need a user friendly digital delay for live and studio work. not sure how easy the Line6 DL4 or the boss DD20 are for live use. i need one that's easy and reliable at the same time. and i've also read about the Nova Delay being easy...

i've never used digital delay before. i need it for spacey sounds, reverse, echo, tap tempo, all the usaul sounds. i need it to be easy to use live and be able to recall the settings...

help me...please.

2. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The Timefactor is good and lets you store 20 prestets as well. You do have to cycle through them because they only come in banks of 2.

3. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

I've had all the ones you mentioned. The easiest to use live IMO is the DL4 simply because you can change to the specific preset you want or turn it off with one tap. The tap tempo is also a dedicated button. The DD20 gets close in funcionality if you add an external tap, but not as convenient for patch changes still. The Nova is slightly more difficult to change patches but sounds far superior to the others IMO (which is why it made the cut on my board).

If you need dotted eighths, that rules out the DL4 unless you want to manually tap them in. Between the DD20 and the Nova, the Nova is an easy winner in my book on it's tones alone. If simple live use is your sole concern, I would take the DL4. If you can sacrifice a hair of ease of use when it comes to patch changes, then I would take the Nova.

D

4. mrp3118

mrp3118 Member

Wait for Boss DD-7.

5. raul

raul Member

yes, i would be using my digital delay for live use. practice, gigs...and studio work. Nove seems nice. i've just read about the DL4 being unreliable but then some have had no probs with them...i guess it's hit or miss with those...and the DD20 seems like a real workhorse...i need one that's user friends with easy access to the presets for live use use great sound quality...

6. enocaster

enocaster Member

I have or have had a Nova, Timefactor, and DD-20 (and have used DL4's, too) and I think that the DD-20 best fits your criteria. I kept the Timefactor, but editing it can be tricky because of it's myriad controls. The DD-20 has 5 presets and is easiest to adjust.

7. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

The easiest...DD-5 with tap tempo. Done...and done...

Or better yet the newer DD-7...may be a bit more complex.

DL-4 is pretty easy too!

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Doesn't get much love around here, but the Line 6 Echo Park is pretty cool. It has GREAT modulated delays and fantastic Tap Tempo with rhythmic subdivisions built in.

9. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

The Boss DD-20 & DD-7 are easy to use, they both sound awesome & the DD-20 has presets, illuminated display, easy tap tempo, stereo etc.

Line 6 does make some cool sounding delays but You can read here the many problems people have been having with DL-4s or go into the emporium to see some "WTT DL-4 for DD-20" posts

:D

my .02

10. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

A real good, simple Digital Delay is the Boss DD-3.

11. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

I only had one problem with my DL4 in years of gigging it, and that was something I was able to fix myself with relative ease.

As far as ease of use, the Nova and DD20 are equal but different in my opinion. You could easily prefer ones funcionality over the other.

On the issue of tone, they are not comparable IMO. The DD20 sounds pretty sterile next to the Nova, and the bypass is not very good to boot. The DD20 just didn't seem to have any soul.

I bought the Nova and the DD20 at the same time because I needed a replacement for my DL4 due to the need for different subdivisions. I was convinced the DD20 was the one for me since I had used it before. I got the Nova as well because it was on sell. I had every intention of giving it a shot and then returning it. It didn't take long to realize I could never let that pedal go.

D

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'd say check out just about any of the Boss DD's... Great delays!
    Also, +1 for the Line 6 stuff. I had a DL4 for almost two years and nothing ever went wrong with it! Many gigs it had seen, so I decided to retire it :) Also, the echo park is very cool, too! Had one of those, but "traded up" to the DL4...

13. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I hate reading manuals and long learning curves. That said I love the DD-20 and find it very easy to use, it sounds great too.

14. raul

raul Member

man, you guys are not making it easy! between the nova Delay, Boss DD20 and Line6 DL4...i think it may be a toss up between the Boss DD20 and Nova Delay...i guess the one that's easier for live use, has good tap tempo,trippy sounds...

15. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

16. JZG

JZG Member

I'll concur with most that a Boss DD model would probably be the easiest to use, but the DD-20 would be necessary for storing presets. I think both the Nova and Timefactor are great products. I found the sound quality on the Nova to be pretty darn good, but the Timefactor beats it on flexibility. I guess both are easy enough to use, buy you need to spend some time with them to learn everything.

17. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Nova Delay. :band

18. marcher5877

marcher5877 Member

19. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

If the tossup is between the DD20 and the Nova, do yourself a huge favor and get the Nova. If you aren't positive, buy them both at a place where you can return the one you don't want to keep. I'm willing to bet money that you will be taking the DD20 back.

The only way the DD20 would be any easier to use is if you get an external tap control. The small edge it would have in live use is easily blown away by the quality of tone you'll have with the Nova.

I bought them both, expecting to keep the DD20 because it would be slightly easier to use live. The tone of the Nova put a smile on my face like gear hasn't done in a long time. I tried for an hour before I finally succeeded at making myself unplug the Nova and go back to messing with the DD20. There was just no comparison. The Nova was better in every respect tonally IMO, YMMV. I found the DD20 pretty sterile and uninspiring in comparison to the DL4 and Nova.

D