• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Easy filler songs for coverband gigs

djdrdave

My friends guitar and bass player quit suddenly, I am learning about 40 songs for a gig at the end of the month. I am sure some of the songs won't be ready in time so are there any easy filler songs that should be easy for everyone to use quickly?

I know everyone has different skill levels, but an easy filler song should be one that's not a stretch for any position bass drums vocals or guitar.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3dognate

Here's some that do well and meet the criteria of easy to play and easy to sing in the Classic Rock vein.
Hurts so good - John Cougar
Authority Song - John Cougar
The Break Up Song - The Greg Kihn Band
Brown eye'd Girl - Van Morrison < Always a big hit
American Band - Grand Funk Railroad
Life is a Highway - Tom Cochrane
Rock and Roll all Night - Kiss
Cold Gin - Kiss
Keep Your hands to yourself - Georgia Satellites

dmb70

Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
Hash Pipe - Weezer
Should I Stay Or Should I Go - The Clash
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - AC/DC
Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet
Detroit Rock City - KISS
Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Smokin In The Boys Room - Brownsville Station/Motley Crue
Can't Get Enough - Bad Co

Are all pretty basic songs that usually go over well with a classic rock audience.

Wolfgangsta

Silver Supporting Member
Here's some that do well and meet the criteria of easy to play and easy to sing in the Classic Rock vein.
Hurts so good - John Cougar
Authority Song - John Cougar
The Break Up Song - The Greg Kihn Band
Brown eye'd Girl - Van Morrison < Always a big hit
American Band - Grand Funk Railroad
Life is a Highway - Tom Cochrane
Rock and Roll all Night - Kiss
Cold Gin - Kiss
Keep Your hands to yourself - Georgia Satellites
Excellent list! And I'll add "Fight For Your Right To Party" - The Beastie Boys
My band literally threw the song together one practice and played it (horribly) the next weekend. Crowd went nuts. We ride the chorus out at the end and the singer runs around the bar and has crowd members sing "you gotta fight...for your right...to party!!!" Always a fun time.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
SongArtist867-5309 JennyTommy TutoneA Little Less Talk And A Lot More ActionToby KeithAll Summer LongKid RockAuthority SongJohn Cougar MellencampBad Moon RisingCreedence Clearwater RevivalBe Bop A LulaGene VincentBe My Baby TonightJohn Michael MontgomeryBig RiverJohnny CashBlister In The SunViolent FemmesBlue Suede ShoesCarl Perkins/Elvis PresleyBoot Scootin' BoogieBrooks & DunnBorn To Be WildSteppenwolfBrown Eyed GirlVan MorrisonCeciliaSimon & GarfunkelChattahoocheeAlan JacksonChicken FriedZac Brown BandCocaine BluesJohnny CashCopperhead RoadSteve EarleDumas WalkerThe Kentucky HeadhuntersFishin&#8217; In The DarkNitty Gritty Dirt BandFolsom Prison BluesJohnny CashGood TimeAlan JacksonGuitars, CadillacsDwight YoakamHonky Tonk WomenRolling StonesI Fought The LawBobby Fuller FourI Got A WomanRay CharlesI Want You To Want MeCheap TrickInto The MysticVan MorrisonJohnny B. GoodeChuck BerryJohnny LawWayne HancockKissPrinceLet The Good Times RollB.B. KingLittle SisterDwight YoakamLiving Next Door To AliceSmokieLorettaTownes Van Zandt/Jesse DaytonMargaritavilleJimmy BuffettMony MonyTommy James & The ShondellsMove It On OverGeorge Thorogood & The DestroyersMustang SallyWilson PickettNeon MoonBrooks & DunnOld Time Rock & RollBob SegerPolka MedleyVariousProud MaryCreedence Clearwater RevivalRing Of FireJohnny CashRoadhouse BluesThe DoorsRock This TownStray CatsShould Have Been A CowboyToby Keith(Sittin&#8217; On) The Dock Of The BayOtis ReddingStray Cat StrutStray CatsSummertime BluesEddie CochranSweet Home AlabamaLynyrd SkynyrdTakin' Care Of BusinessBachman-Turner OverdriveThe FiremanGeorge StraitThe JokerSteve Miller BandToesZac Brown BandTravelin' BandCreedence Clearwater RevivalWipe OutThe SurfarisWonderful TonightEric ClaptonWorkin' Man BluesMerle HaggardYou Sexy ThingHot ChocolateYou Shook Me All Night LongAC/DC
-----------

They don't get much easier (or crowd pleasing, at least around here) than my (now former) band's set list.

Lots of songs musicians hate--which is a good sign that normal people will like them!

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Wild thing
Born to be Wild
Bad Boy (beatles)
Wonderful Tonight
Get Offa My Cloud (Stones)
Satisfaction (stones)
Jumpin Jack Flash
Honky Tonk Woman
Train kept a Rollin
CrossFire (SRV)
any ZZ Top

And Jazz Odyssey!

guitarz1972

SongArtist867-5309 JennyTommy TutoneA Little Less Talk And A Lot More ActionToby KeithAll Summer LongKid RockAuthority SongJohn Cougar MellencampBad Moon RisingCreedence Clearwater RevivalBe Bop A LulaGene VincentBe My Baby TonightJohn Michael MontgomeryBig RiverJohnny CashBlister In The SunViolent FemmesBlue Suede ShoesCarl Perkins/Elvis PresleyBoot Scootin' BoogieBrooks & DunnBorn To Be WildSteppenwolfBrown Eyed GirlVan MorrisonCeciliaSimon & GarfunkelChattahoocheeAlan JacksonChicken FriedZac Brown BandCocaine BluesJohnny CashCopperhead RoadSteve EarleDumas WalkerThe Kentucky HeadhuntersFishin’ In The DarkNitty Gritty Dirt BandFolsom Prison BluesJohnny CashGood TimeAlan JacksonGuitars, CadillacsDwight YoakamHonky Tonk WomenRolling StonesI Fought The LawBobby Fuller FourI Got A WomanRay CharlesI Want You To Want MeCheap TrickInto The MysticVan MorrisonJohnny B. GoodeChuck BerryJohnny LawWayne HancockKissPrinceLet The Good Times RollB.B. KingLittle SisterDwight YoakamLiving Next Door To AliceSmokieLorettaTownes Van Zandt/Jesse DaytonMargaritavilleJimmy BuffettMony MonyTommy James & The ShondellsMove It On OverGeorge Thorogood & The DestroyersMustang SallyWilson PickettNeon MoonBrooks & DunnOld Time Rock & RollBob SegerPolka MedleyVariousProud MaryCreedence Clearwater RevivalRing Of FireJohnny CashRoadhouse BluesThe DoorsRock This TownStray CatsShould Have Been A CowboyToby Keith(Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The BayOtis ReddingStray Cat StrutStray CatsSummertime BluesEddie CochranSweet Home AlabamaLynyrd SkynyrdTakin' Care Of BusinessBachman-Turner OverdriveThe FiremanGeorge StraitThe JokerSteve Miller BandToesZac Brown BandTravelin' BandCreedence Clearwater RevivalWipe OutThe SurfarisWonderful TonightEric ClaptonWorkin' Man BluesMerle HaggardYou Sexy ThingHot ChocolateYou Shook Me All Night LongAC/DC
The longest song title ever.

classic rock?
In the City Joe Walsh (eagles)
lonely is the night - billy squier
Stranglehold - Nugent (solo is involved but easy)
Cat scratch fever - nugent
Back in Black - acdc
All right now - free

Throttleneck

SongArtist867-5309 JennyTommy TutoneA Little Less Talk And A Lot More ActionToby KeithAll Summer LongKid RockAuthority SongJohn Cougar MellencampBad Moon RisingCreedence Clearwater RevivalBe Bop A LulaGene VincentBe My Baby TonightJohn Michael MontgomeryBig RiverJohnny CashBlister In The SunViolent FemmesBlue Suede ShoesCarl Perkins/Elvis PresleyBoot Scootin' BoogieBrooks & DunnBorn To Be WildSteppenwolfBrown Eyed GirlVan MorrisonCeciliaSimon & GarfunkelChattahoocheeAlan JacksonChicken FriedZac Brown BandCocaine BluesJohnny CashCopperhead RoadSteve EarleDumas WalkerThe Kentucky HeadhuntersFishin&#8217; In The DarkNitty Gritty Dirt BandFolsom Prison BluesJohnny CashGood TimeAlan JacksonGuitars, CadillacsDwight YoakamHonky Tonk WomenRolling StonesI Fought The LawBobby Fuller FourI Got A WomanRay CharlesI Want You To Want MeCheap TrickInto The MysticVan MorrisonJohnny B. GoodeChuck BerryJohnny LawWayne HancockKissPrinceLet The Good Times RollB.B. KingLittle SisterDwight YoakamLiving Next Door To AliceSmokieLorettaTownes Van Zandt/Jesse DaytonMargaritavilleJimmy BuffettMony MonyTommy James & The ShondellsMove It On OverGeorge Thorogood & The DestroyersMustang SallyWilson PickettNeon MoonBrooks & DunnOld Time Rock & RollBob SegerPolka MedleyVariousProud MaryCreedence Clearwater RevivalRing Of FireJohnny CashRoadhouse BluesThe DoorsRock This TownStray CatsShould Have Been A CowboyToby Keith(Sittin&#8217; On) The Dock Of The BayOtis ReddingStray Cat StrutStray CatsSummertime BluesEddie CochranSweet Home AlabamaLynyrd SkynyrdTakin' Care Of BusinessBachman-Turner OverdriveThe FiremanGeorge StraitThe JokerSteve Miller BandToesZac Brown BandTravelin' BandCreedence Clearwater RevivalWipe OutThe SurfarisWonderful TonightEric ClaptonWorkin' Man BluesMerle HaggardYou Sexy ThingHot ChocolateYou Shook Me All Night LongAC/DC
-----------

They don't get much easier (or crowd pleasing, at least around here) than my (now former) band's set list.

Lots of songs musicians hate--which is a good sign that normal people will like them!
Because I like to write perl scripts for my own entertainment. Here is the above list in a more readable format.

Song: Artist
867-5309 Jenny: Tommy Tutone
A Little Less Talk And A Lot More Action: Toby Keith
All Summer Long: Kid Rock
Authority Song: John Cougar Mellencamp
Bad Moon Rising: Creedence Clearwater Revival
Be Bop A Lula: Gene Vincent
Be My Baby Tonight: John Michael Montgomery
Big River: Johnny Cash
Blister In The Sun: Violent Femmes
Blue Suede Shoes: Carl Perkins/Elvis Presley
Boot Scootin' Boogie: Brooks & Dunn