EB Luke/Emg issues

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by teddys, May 13, 2008.

1. teddys

teddys Member

I'm really enjoying my EBMM LUKE, the build, neck, fit and finish are great. I do have 1 issue. Clean sounds are stellar but
    when I use it with most OD type pedalsl it sounds very weak compared to my other P-90 & Humbucker guitars. Is this due to the active EMG's?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

when you say 'weak' are you referring to lower output compared to your other guitars or different tonal characteristics? I would be surprised to find out the EMG 85 in the bridge isn't giving you enough OD/distortion as this pickup is a rock/metal standard. It's possible the pickup height needs adjusting, but that's just a guess based on the limited info provided.

3. Supasso

Supasso Member

Check the battery.

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Check the battery & make sure they're not too far from the strings. EMGs have weaker magnets than traditional pickups, so they need to be pretty close to the strings to get full output.

--chiba

5. teddys

teddys Member

The battery and height are fine. I duuno, it just doesn't have the "bite" of the passive stuff I usually use?

6. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I have a Luke myself. You should really have the electronics looked at. A grounding issue could weaken output. When we say the pickups need to be close, the 85 needs to be as close as possible without touching the strings. If all this checks out, consider the 81, much brighter but a bit less power than the 85. The tone pot can be changed out with an EMG afterburner circuit. I dont think you need this though if all is working as it should.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

tonal considerations aside, the emg 85 is a firehose of output blasting out of the pickup. just remember, emgs are meant to be adjusted so close they almost touch the strings.