Eb tuned Strat setup opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jcs, Apr 30, 2016.

1. jcs

jcs Member

How many springs do you use?

Is one of your Strats dedicated to Eb tuning only?

Did you switch string gauge or brands when going from E to Eb tuning?

Mine is a 92 MIM Strat with a mix of Fender noiseless bridge, Fender USA alnico middle and a Duncan Antiquity II neck.

D'Adarrio 10 set still (as I always use), 4 springs and the action a bit higher.

It feels and sounds really good right now.....BUT, as always being the tinkerer I am, should I go to an 11 set of strings to get an even bigger sound ala SRV (though SRV used 12 and 13 sets I guess).

Any other observations or info is greatly appreciated on a Strat tuned to Eb!

2. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I have one strat in standard with 9's and one in Eb with 11's. I use Ernie Balls on both. I use 3 springs on both but the one with 11's has the springs a little tighter. The shop I bought it from did the setup so I don't know exactly what they did. The intonation has to be readjusted when the string gauge is changed. Also, I told them that I would be using Eb exclusively so they set it up accordingly. I use the Eb one for SRV and some Hendrix. I've heard SRV used 13's but I can't imagine how hard it would be to stretch those things. I'm afraid I'll get Carpel Tunnel Syndrome or something. :eek:

3. Dashface

Dashface Member

About ten of my guitars are in Eb for use in my wedding / bar band. Two are strats. I use three springs still, but all my Eb guitars are strung up with 10.5 gauge strings. Seems to help.

4. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I have a strat that is set up to be tuned down a half-step. I just went one string gauge heavier (10s instead of 9s). I use 5 springs and keep it decked; didn't really need to change the vibrato setup for the down tuning.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

You could try "tweener" sets too. 9.5 etc... just experiment. I always just used .010s no matter. It's easy. But if wanted SRV type, yeah, .011's tuned down will really beef up a strat.

6. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

9's for E
    10's for Eb

That's how I use to roll but now I just put 10's on all my guitars and tune to whatever.

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I'm not currently in Strat-villa, but my 2 Teles (one with Bigsby) are dedicated to Eb. I occasionally need to tune one up to standard for a different gig. It doesn't end up an issue with Curt Mangan .010's.

I find that going from standard to flat requires a truss rod tweak more often, but my reference for that is my Taylor 410.