EB Volume Pedal Jr. problem: Slight volume when all the way down

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by James, Jan 21, 2008.

1. James

James Member

This is strange. For no reason whatsoever my Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr. developed a strange problem. When pressed all the way down, there is still a bit of volume, instead of shutting off the sound completely. Is this a calibration thing? Is it user-adjustable? Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks!

James

2. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

Mine is also like this. It doesn't bother me, personally.

Try the other taper (the small black switch) to see if that makes it any different.

3. James

James Member

Thanks Kevin! I tried the little taper switch but that didn't do anything. I'm going to try messing with it some more...

:)

all best,
    James

4. James

James Member

Fixed it. Basically, I took it apart and put it back together again. I don't know if I'd recommend doing this though, as putting it back together is a pain in the butt. :jo

Kevin, on the inside of the pedal is a small brass circular thing-ee (that's a technical term) that holds the threaded piece of string. This thing-ee has a hex screw which tightens. I suspect that mine came loose. If you can manuever a tiny hex wrench inside the pedal without taking it apart, and tighten that, it should help.

Good luck!

James

5. AdamLee

AdamLee Member

Hmmmm. Mine as well as the other guitarist in the band does it as well. It looks like EB should look into fixing it...

6. James

James Member

I think it's more of a wear-and-tear/maintenance kind of thing. I have two of the EB volume pedal jrs. and this only happened to one of them, the one I use the most.

7. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

I had a string break in one of my VPJR's last week. Ordered the replacement from EB, took only a couple days to arrive.

James, the solution to your problem is a simple adjustment. You will need a small crochet hook or similar tool to grab and pull the spring.

1. Remove the input/output jack assembly by removing the two screws on the bottom of the pedal. Be careful from this point forward to not put too much stress on the wires.

2. Push the treadle to the heel-down position.

3. From the toe-end of the pedal, reach in with the crochet hook and grab the spring.

4. Pull on the crochet hook. This releases some tension on the string wrapped around the brass bushing on the potentiometer. Do not pull so hard that the string becomes loose on the bushing.

5. Now the tricky part ... while pulling on the spring, reach in and rotate the potentiometer fully counterclockwise.

6. Reassemble the pedal.

I suggest buying a replacement string/spring kit from EB, because eventually the string will break. FWIW, if one of my VPJR's broke at a gig, I would not try to repair it between sets.

8. James

James Member

Thanks Dave! Great advice!

:)

all best,
    James

9. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

BTW, check out the FAQ section at Ernie Ball website. Look for the PDF showing VPJR string replacement.

10. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

Thanks for the tip, James. I'll have to give it a look sometime. :).