ebay Amp Issue: looking for guidance

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not sure where to post this question here, but since it pertains to an amp I'm posting here.

I "won" an amp on ebay on Wednesday. The seller has 100% positive feedback from 48 deals. The complete description of the amp follows:

"Industrial Amplification all tube, class A Overdrive 15. 15 watt, hand built, hand wired, finest components. Was the factory demo, 1st one built? Great tone like the Marshall, Soldano, THD amps that it modeled after. 1 - Celestion Vintage 30. Used very little, don't need anymore. Excellent condition."

Here are the two pictures of the amp in the ad:

The amp arrived today. It seems to be mechanically fine and sounds good. But there's a rip in the tolex on the top out of view of his picture, there's a bit of Tolex separation on the front and on BOTH SIDES of the amp there's paint (see pictures of all below; markings are same on either side). None of this was in the description.

In response to one of the replies below, I have no idea if I got a good deal. It's a tiny amp company and I was the only bidder. There are no comparable sales and almost nothing on the net. I bought it with very little info and mostly on the recommendation of someone here.

Here's the ad: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330211057434&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=014

What, if anything, would you do? What should I expect, if anything, from the seller? Thanks for your opinions. I keep my stuff in mint shape and like others here may sell it if it doesn't compare well with what I've already got. I'm wrong in being annoyed?

[I HAVE POSTED THE RESOLUTION OF THE ISSUE BELOW. I THINK IT'S THE LAST OR NEXT TO LAST POST ON PAGE "2" OF THIS THREAD.]

littlejohn

I'd say if you got a good price on it, and like the amp, that's the important thing really, glue that piece of tolex back with crazy glue, don't worry about the other separation thing, that's normal..you could mention the tolex tear to the guy and spray paint thing, and see if he'll spiff you $100 bucks back?

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member
Hmmm . . . seems a little dishonest not to bring up the paint on the side. If you like the amp, maybe you can get that paint off with a solvent (gotta find something that won't dissolve the tolex, though). Maybe ask for a partial refund.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
He does say used and never says it is cosmetically perfect. I don't see anything particularly wrong with his ad or the amp. If you don't like it I'd suggest politely contacting the seller and ask if he'd be willing to let you ship it back on your dime for a cheerful refund (keeping all correspondence of course). It usually doesn't hurt to try to be nice. Or not (as I'm not your dad).

hongsta

I definitely see that not disclosing the paint on the amp and describing it as excellent condition is wrong. It's not like the seller could have missed it. I would still try the "nice" route first though.

He does say used and never says it is cosmetically perfect. I don't see anything particularly wrong with his ad or the amp. If you don't like it I'd suggest politely contacting the seller and ask if he'd be willing to let you ship it back on your dime for a cheerful refund (keeping all correspondence of course). It usually doesn't hurt to try to be nice. Or not (as I'm not your dad).

teleblaster

You could get the paint off with goof-off or some of the other paint removers. I think the paint thang was dishonest. The other suff looks normal. He did say demo model which leads me to belive not perfect.If you like that amp, work on the paint enjoy. Heck i would leave the paint!It kinda has an industrial look about it.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I do agree that the paint should have probably been mentioned or shown, but I generally try to have an expectation of just about anything I buy on Ebay having some possible small problems unless it is advertised as "new", "mint" or some such. I wouldn't assume the seller was trying to rip me off or be dishonest. Just my personal bias.

alivegy

He should have mentioned the paint, everything else looks as I would expect for an amp like that.

darkstar11

I would email the seller and explain that you are not pleased ...just exactly like what you mentioned here.

See how he responds and go from there.. Also you can get his phone number through eBay "Find contact info" and give him a call to discuss.

The fact that he omitted the paint and tolex tear is BS.

Someone mentioned contacting Ebay.. But they cannot and will not do anything about this.. The item was used and used items could have signs of wear.

Maybe he will compensate you a little for the misleading ad.
Otherwise,, About all you can do is leave him bad feedback.

Lastly.. you said you liked the amp.. Enjoy it!

littlejohn

I did have good luck going through PayPal if you paid him that way? They did the moderation and I got a $100 back on an amp that the buyer said was new, but actually had been modded when I opened it. I kinda like the painted letters thing myself, gives it some pazazz..but yea they should have shown that in a photo, I agree..ask for $200 back? I would go through paypal and show them your pictures of the paint job...they will be able to pull the auction and see they weren't shown.

He lied. 1) If you aren't happy get a full refund. 2) If you can be happy, get a discount. 3) If no discount, see #1).

Excellent condition conveys to me that it is functionally and cosmetically great...a little dirt or a small scuff at most is excellent. Anything more should've been disclosed.

KCWM

I'd say he did know because the other auction he has going at the moment has quite a few pictures. I'm sure he knew that having paint on the side would drive the price down a good deal. Seems to me that he was being dishonest.

matt5150

Either U Know Or U Don't
Silver Supporting Member
I think you guys are overreacting.

It is unfair to say he lied because we do not know his intentions.

His amp does not say perfect or mint or fresh as new or whatever description you want to use.

I personally would have asked for additional pics.

IF you are unhappy- I say e-mail him with your issues and ask for a refund.

I woudl be more concerned with the tone that the appearance.

Matt

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
He lied. 1) If you aren't happy get a full refund. 2) If you can be happy, get a discount. 3) If no discount, see #1).

Excellent condition conveys to me that it is functionally and cosmetically great...a little dirt or a small scuff at most is excellent. Anything more should've been disclosed.
That's where I come out. I have emailed him suggesting a discount. Or if he prefers I can return it on his nickel. I will post and let you all know what he says.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
What eBay can do is fascilitate the communication process and convince the seller to compensate the buyer before he has to file a complaint with PayPal if that's what he paid with. That's why I asked if he paid through PayPal...hopefully he did because I know he can file a complaint and most likely PayPal will take his side.
None of this will actually happen like you state.

Paypal will simply ask if the seller can prove shipping. Clearly they can. Dispute in favor of seller. Paypal does not get involved with issues of condition.

I think you guys are overreacting.
It is unfair to say he lied because we do not know his intentions.
Matt
His intentions were to not show the paint job or the tolex scrape...anybody selling should understand that could be an issue for a buyer that would clearly effect the value. Showing the picture of the top of the amp with what little damage is there and stating "excellent condition" would lead most reasonable buyers into believing that this is the only cosmetic issue with the amp.

That's simply not true. There are several people in this very forum who received money back from PayPal due to seller dishonesty. Didn't you read littlejohn's post in this thread?
You are right. Ebay might dispute some coverage, but be persistent. My husband bought a statue on ebay but was shipped a stuffed animal...they almost didn't refund his money until he nagged them long enough. They tried to claim a loophole in their policy, but they eventually gave him a refund. Whether the amp is "significantly not-as-described" may be debatable for some, but I'd agree that the paint is significantly not "excellent condition."

Here is the relevant info. from paypal:

For items purchased on eBay, the item delivered by the seller is 'significantly not-as-described' in the item listing. An item is 'significantly not-as-described' if the eBay seller clearly misrepresented the details of the item in a way that affects its value or usability. Only items purchased in eBay listings are eligible for 'significantly not-as-described' coverage. Please note that this does not include cases where you are merely disappointed with the item or where the item did not meet your expectations. Reasons that an item may be considered 'significantly not-as-described' include, but are not limited to, the following:

• The item is completely different than what the seller had presented in his listing.
  • The condition of the item is significantly different.
  • The item in its received state is unusable and was not disclosed as such.
  • The item is not authentic and was advertised as authentic in the listing.
  • The item is missing a major portion or quantity.
There may be times when the characteristics of the item or the situation do not exactly match the listing in all respects, but do not render the items 'significantly not-as-described'. PayPal encourages all buyers and sellers to communicate with each other before and after the transaction to prevent these issues from occurring. For items that do not qualify as 'significantly not-as-described', we still encourage the buyer and seller to find an equitable solution. PayPal will reserve the right to make a decision on whether an item is 'significantly not-as-described' if the buyer and seller cannot agree. Once PayPal has made a decision on a 'significantly not-as-described' item, that decision is final and cannot be appealed.

SQUAREHEAD

Silver Supporting Member
Wow!
Had you played one of these amps "before" you bought this one off of ebay?

Keith

Johntheson

I'm of the opinion that the amp is a "lender" demo. One that he's been lending out for a few(or more)gigs to try to promote his company. I think one can expect to see a blemish or 2 due to it being "used a little", but anyone with any sense(?spelling) at all would know that it devalues the amp with the spray painting on it. I'll bet if you carried the same amp into his shop for sale; he'd knock off a chunck for having to deal with the paint; which by the way, wasn't done very good. That's just my opinion.
John Sr.

Trending Topics