Ebay buyer request doesn't make sense

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by BadgerDave, Mar 2, 2015.

1. BadgerDave

BadgerDave Gold Supporting Member

I sold a Fano RB6 on ebay over the weekend and received an unusual request from the buyer this morning, which I've copied below:

If possible, I would prefer to use my UPS Account to pay for shipping on this item. I can either get you the account number, or if you get me info needed, I can get everything entered on UPS & E-mail you the shipping Labels. That way I can run shipping through my company & not have to pay for it right away. Otherwise I will have to wait til Tuesday to make payment since I will have to move funds from a couple accounts into the one I use with paypal. If I can use my UPS Account, I can pay today. Thanks

The sale price of the guitar was $2,750 and I was charging $50 for shipping.

The buyer has 8 ebay transactions including some high value purchases. I'm not seeing an obvious scam here, but I get a little nervous when a request doesn't make sense. Does UPS have an account feature that lets you make PayPal payments through a credit card?

I responded that I'm OK with his plan as long as the delivery address is confirmed with PayPal.

Anything else I should be concerned about?

2. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

If I am the seller, I am ultimately responsible for getting the item to the buyer. I want to control all aspects of that process.

3. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Vendor

Assuming it's not a scam I'm unaware of this is fairly common. I have a customer out of state I deal with often and instead of using my FedEx account number (which bills to me) and having him reimburse me for the shipping cost I laid out I just enter his FedEx account number on the shipment as the "bill to" and print a label, it's paid for by him but picked up from me and shipped to him. So it is a legit thing to charge shipping to the buyers account using their accout number or an emailed label.

I think he just wants to paypal you $2750 for the guitar and give you his UPS number to have the shipping cost charged to his account so his company pays for it and not you or him directly.

4. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

Some people (cough, cough) want to ship in non-standard was so their wife doesn't know what's incoming....

5. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

" so their wife doesn't know what's incoming.... "

ha ha ha .....

6. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

This doesn't seem particularly unusual or unreasonable to me. And I don't see why it "doesn't make sense."

7. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

I had a great business relationship with both my Fedex and UPS reps plus I had leverage due to dollars spent by the company I worked for. Using the company account enabled me to have a particular shipment closely monitored by the rep. And I knew if anything happened I would be taken care of.

I've also had an experience where transferring funds into PayPal caused a delay in getting payment made to seller.

I can see why the request was made but I would still be cautious.

8. BadgerDave

BadgerDave Gold Supporting Member

The part that doesn't make sense to me is based on the fact that I'm charging a flat $50 fee for shipping. I doubt that he'll be able to save much, if any, money by using his own account.

Based on his request, he has $2750 in his paypal account and can pay that much today, but not the additional $50 for shipping. Seems strange.

9. mango

mango Member

If I read that right,if you go his way you get paid today,if you look after shipping you get paid tomorrow(Tues.).
    If one day is going to make you feel better about it,then wait a day

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

"Honey, the guitar just followed me home..."

I used to work with a guy who would get his golf stuff sent to the office so that he could hide his numerous purchases from his wife. Last I heard he had gotten a divorce. Wonder why that happened? :dunno

Another place I worked the shipping manager, who was an eBay seller, got fired for running his personal eBay shipping through the company FedEx account. I guess his customers were happy with the low shipping costs and I guess the manager was lucky he wasn't charged criminally.

11. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I had a buyer in the past do the same. It worked out without any issues. I did speak with the buyer prior to going through with this to ensure there wasn't a scam perspective to it.

12. retroLS1

retroLS1 Supporting Member

I don't see anything wrong with this. I have used my company's UPS account to have things shipped and have paid for it "at my leisure" here instead of paying up front. Having a corporate UPS account usually entails discounts so chances are he will pay less through his UPS account than you would if you went to a UPS Store or similar. No way of knowing what his discount is. Who knows, he could even end up paying more for it depending on his account, but it gives him time to pay for it instead of paying upfront (which is sort of silly considering it is a high priced item and another $50 doesn't seem that crazy but who knows his situation).

13. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

My only question is that he makes it sound like because of $50 he can't pay for the whole thing right away. Am I reading that right? Just seems weird on a $2700 sale that $50 makes or breaks whether he can get the payment to you.

14. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

15. scotth

scotth Member

Is it possible to send it COD then he can use his account to pay for it when it arrives?

16. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Yup. This is where the fish starts to smell like......well, fish.
    I don't like it.
    CYA-take lots of pics packing, the UPS shop and receipt, tracking and signature.

17. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

I don't think it is an issue to use the buyer's account. But what I am wondering is if he is trying to make the company pay the shipping, saving him $50 out of his pocket.

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

That's what I'm thinking, too.....if he's scamming anybody it appears to be the (his?) company.....

19. retroLS1

retroLS1 Supporting Member

He could just be doing it like how I have done it. Ship it with company account, pay for it within a week or so. Not sure why $50 is making or breaking an already expensive deal, but using his account shouldn't be an issue nor should it matter if he is having his company "pay" for it.

20. standard24

standard24 Member

I'd say just pay for the shipping yourself. $50 isn't a deal breaker and you control the process. Have him paypal you the money afterwards.