Ebay damaged delivery question.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MojoMonster, Apr 17, 2013.

1. MojoMonster

MojoMonster Member

I won a synthesizer from a guy in Texas on the 9th. I'm in North Carolina.
    Shipping was close to $60, but I got a good deal so it was a wash.
    Synth arrives damaged and woefully under-packed. Like seriously under-packed.
    Like if I were the suspicious sort I'd think the guy was aiming for making a claim against the USPS. Yea, he shipped a 50lb synth via the US Postal Service.
    I'm obviously going to dispute this, but what order should I take this in?
    Should I just dispute the payment with my credit card, then contact the seller and let him make a claim?
    Should I go through Ebay before I do anything?

I'm leaning towards going through Ebay first.

At this point, I'm not tied to the synth, so if it goes, fine. If I can keep it fine.
    I'm just not paying for it as the repairs could run into the hundreds of dollars.

Thanks in advance.

2. woof*

woof* Member

eBay first. Also shipper makes claim, not reciever.

I got the worst one in ten years on eBay. Bought a vintage turntable....guy put turntable in box 3 times the size. Tapes it up, no padding, no bubble wrap....nothing! Just loose in box!
    Turntable is toast .

3. MojoMonster

MojoMonster Member

Ok. Thanks.
    I emailed the seller with pics of damage requesting a full refund.
    We'll see where it goes from there.

This might be the same guy!
    lol
    A 40-50 lb synth literally wrapped in cut up cardboard box with zero protection and taped together.
    No peanuts. No airbags. No bubble wrap. Hell, not even any newspaper.
    Like you'd pack it at home for storage so it doesn't get scratched.
    WTF?
    And this from a guy who emailed me 3 hours after I won the auction asking when I was going to pay?
    Yikes.

Here's hoping it works out.
    I'm just sad for the synth.
    :(

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  4. ~sounddjinn~

~sounddjinn~ Member

That's the whole problem.. too many knuckleheads and it only takes a few.

5. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Fuel for your ebay/paypal claim.

6. rybass

rybass Member

Follow the process outlined on Ebay. Contact the seller and ebay. Take photos of damage and packing. Seller opens the claim. You pack it back up just like it was sent to you. USPS picks it up. Once picked up by USPS the seller or ebay should issue you a full refund minus shipping. You never see the synth or seller again unless you choose.

Very easy process. No reason to accuse anyone of anything other than bad packing. The most the seller will get for the damage claim is what the item sold for so he's not making out with any scam. He was just a bad packer.

7. MojoMonster

MojoMonster Member

Ah, ok, so does USPS contact me about the pickup?
    I've been using Ebay for a good 10 years now, just never had anything arrived damaged. I guess I've just been lucky.

I'm just naturally skeptical, is all. :)

I guess that when I agreed to pay $60 for shipping, I figured he's actually spend that to pack it properly.
    Turns out he spent $40 shipping it through USPS and $1 packing it.
    Sigh.

Yea, that's the way it seems to be working out.
    He's been very forthright about everything and after contacting him with all of this he says he's refunded my payment last night.

Guess I'll go wrap it back up and wait for USPS.

Thanks guys.
    I appreciate the info.

8. rybass

rybass Member

Yeah the seller should file for an insurance claim. I've had two situations in the past; one where USPS contacted me to pick up and one where they requested I drop off at my local PO.

Skepticism is healthy so no worries. If I were you I would at the very least leave neutral feedback and mention the bad packing job so future buyers are warned and maybe the seller will be motivated to pack better in the future.

With ebay and USPS claims just give the facts, don't speculate or embellish. Good luck!

9. MojoMonster

MojoMonster Member

And the drama continues.
    Now he's claiming that he refunded the money to someone else's Paypal account and that the Post Office won't take a jpg as evidence of damage and that I might have to take the synth to them for confirmation of damage and that *I* will have to make a claim.

Mostly, I'm just shaking my head wondering how this guy gets through a typical day without fatal damage.
    Guess I need to talk to the USPS myself just so I know WTH he's talking about.

Sigh.

10. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

You will need to make sure he goes into the transaction and does the refund from there.

No chance of a mistake that way, and also, no fees for you.

If he just sends you a random refund, paypal takes a cut of that.

11. sanrico

sanrico Member

Wow, sorry that is happening to you. I would DEMAND a full refund via eBay and let him sort it all out with USPS. File complaints with eBay. They favor the buyer in these cases.

12. rybass

rybass Member

File with ebay claims now before you go any further. You can do it through the completed auction page. They will start dealing with it for you.

13. voodoochile

voodoochile Member

The situation just blows. Feel confident that you will get resolution, seems you have too much evidence not to. Last recourse should be your credit card company- I have had to go through them before on a previous purchase, and it was easy as pie. It also let the seller know it wasn't just a 1 on 1 deal anymore. The eBay/PayPal/USPS route is slow, but probably something you would want to demonstrate to your credit card company, so they can see your attempt at solving the issue on your own.

The advice above is solid and consistent with my experience... again, sorry you are going through the hasssle.

14. MojoMonster

MojoMonster Member

Excellent.
    Thanks for the response guys.
    I've opened a case.
    I don't think he's being malicious. I just don't feel confident that he can do what he needs to do to resolve this.
    He keeps apologizing, making excuses and asking me to call him.
    Just ridiculous.

15. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

"FETAL" damage likely...