eBay D'Pergo

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by daddyo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

2. jzilla

jzilla Member

3. Swampash

Swampash Member

Yep, they're underappreciated due to the [delivered] promise of someting more (in the AVC and AVCL) at the higher price point.

Stefan originally made these as a very useful alternative for people who had valuable old strats, and who wanted the same tone in an instrument that they could take on the road and have to not worry about theft, damage, etc..

I bought one after 2007 winter NAMM to make sure that my ears hadn't decived me due to all of the noise around me. It didn't take long with that guitar (and a new set of strings), to order an aged vintage classic. It's not that the VC was in any way bad or inferior (it too was better than others I'd had tried/owned). It was the little voice in the back of my mind calling out - I want my precious :crazy (Lord Of The Rings reference there) - that there is something even better than this one.

At the price they sell for, they are a great value.

So, I guess that the bottom line is don't buy one of the less expensive ones, without first realizing that you just may be signing up for a bunch more money down the road. :crazyguy :D

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

So, are the higher models substantially better? Are the regular Vintage Classics no better than a Suhr, Anderson, Grosch, Callaham, etc?

5. Swampash

Swampash Member

Yep. :D

Arrrgh....why did you have to ask that! This is the one question that - when answered by a person who owns or has played a D'Pergo - causes blood to shoot out of the eyes of the owners of those other brands. They can't imagine or contemplate any other viewpoint but their own.

In all fairness, there are in fact no absolutes here, just opinion...Here's mine.

<raise the flame shields Scotty>

Incidentally, my own ranking of those makers, from my experience only, and only as a point of reference would be:
    1. Callaham or Grosh - I like different things about either of one them, but no clear favorite.
    2. Anderson
    3. Suhr
    No, IMO the VC's are noticably better. Not that the guitars you've mentioned aren't great guitars...Anderson's fit and finish, for one is terrific. There's just - to MY ears - a different tonality, and a better connection from the guitar to the player. The note attack is faster, the sustain is longer, and it rings out better up the neck beyond the 12th fret.

Buy a used one, try and see...as someone said, they hold their value pretty well. Most I've seen are being sold by people who've moved up to the AVC or the AVCL, not moved away from D'Pergo.

Obviously, YMMV

I know I'm going to regret even answering this question.....<sigh>

6. JMG

JMG Member

It's spelled Grosh. Don Grosh.

7. riker4208

riker4208 Member

This is hilarious. I tried to buy that guitar from Boutique Tone in Montreal canada for $3700. It was during the week that Stefan stopped dealing with stores and went website based. When I went to buy it they said they had to "raise" the price because they wouldn't be getting anymore.
    The guitar is even still on their website, still "for sale", here's a link:

http://www.boutiquetone.com/index.p...age=mini_description&product_category_id=485#

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

There's a candy apple one on eBay for about BIN $3800.

9. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

That's some absurd policy. I hope you let 'em know.

10. crosse79

crosse79 Member

OK - just wondering - how did the term 'cork sniffer' come about?

11. steveh

steveh Member

Wine-tasting: Some "oenologists" sniff the cork after it's been pulled (to detect whether the wine is "corked" - mouldy - for example) but many who actually know their subject reckon it's more showing off and intimidatory than anything else. Sniff the wine, not the cork! Used to describe those who are too far into the technical minutiae of their subject.

I should spend less time drinking wine and more playing guitar.

steve

12. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Thanks Steve - very well explained :)

13. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

I've noticed this too. Most of the guys putting their VC models
    up for sale in the emporium can be found posting in D'Pergo
    threads about how they are having Stefan build them an AVC
    (I've really been paying attention, lol).

For me, if I was going to buy a D'Pergo, I'd save up for the top
    of the line. The AVCL is the one that makes my mouth water.
    Unfortunately, they are very expensive and I am pretty broke
    right now.

14. Zilmo

Zilmo Member

Really don't know a lot about them, but all the hubub lately has made me pay attention.

15. steveh

steveh Member

...yes - it has made me pay attention also. I have bought one of those listed on the Emporium and am waiting patiently for it to arrive. When it does, I hope to see for myself what all the fuss is about. I suspect that, in the end, its merely a guitar but these Forums are absolutely the quickest way to get a big dose of GAS.

Ho-hum.

steve

16. Swampash

Swampash Member

Hey Steve,

Congrats! Stefan says that he chooses to use the GHS Burnished Nickel strings, and I have to agree. The string-life is not too great, but the tone - together with the other elements of his recipe, are pretty darned nice.

Can you give us a link to the guitar you bought?

Best regards,
    Don

17. steveh

steveh Member

It's the surf green one; ash with brazillian board. It's in Europe and so am I, hence that was the obvious choice. I'll post some impressions when it arrives...if it does!

Steve